Sunday, December 24, 2006

Consumerism 101

A quick note at the beginning for those of you who were confused by the pictures. I was, of course, in my secret identity in those shots. The power ring was safely tucked away.

Yesterday James received a card from my wonderful Aunt Evelyn and Uncle Merle, truly two of my favorite people on the planet. Inside the card was a crisp ten dollar bill and James was given the choice of putting it in the piggy bank or finding something to buy. He wanted to buy something so we took him out shopping last night. What a joy it was to watch him try and decide what he wanted. It was his first purchase and Lisa and I had a blast watching him make it.

The choices were staggering. Would it be something with Spider-Man on it? Superman? Batman? Or how about those cool Hot Wheels sets? Or a game? He walked around the store with "Ker-Plunk!" under his arm for a while. It was the fallback choice. Finally, (Finally!) he found a remote control car...one that spins, no less...for $9.99. We told him we would foot the bill for the batteries and the choice was made. He proudly took it up to the counter and gave the cashier his ten dollars. She rung it up for seven and change; his first purchase ever and it was on sale! He tucked his change away carefully, after happily gazing at the coins for a while ("Look how shiny they are!").

It was nice to be reminded of the childlike wonder of it. I remember when change was cool and paper money was truly rare. In this time of life when I just wish everybody had a card reader so I could pay by debit or credit everywhere I go, when I'm more concerned with how quickly a transaction can be made than how I am making it, it's good to remember how these things seem to a child.

May all of your Christmases be filled with such joy and wonder. For unto us a child is born!

3 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

OK, I officially love your boy. Merry Christmas, Thurman8er family.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Carolanne said...

That's a great story! We do tend to get "grown up" but wouldn't it be amazing if we all enjoyed life with childlike wonder?!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

James chose wisely. I'm with carolanne on this one; Christmas time is more fun when we can view it like James. Kudos to Greg for the "25 year old toy" for Josh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters