Wednesday, November 29, 2006

On Eagle's Wings

This is how much God loves His children:

In a desert land he found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared for him; he guarded him as the apple of his eye, like an eagle that stirs up its nest and hovers over its young, that spreads its wings to catch them and
carries them on its pinions. (Deut. 32: 10, 11)


Here is the same passage from The Message:

He found him out in the wilderness, in an empty, windswept wasteland. He threw his arms around him, lavished attention on him, guarding him as the apple of his
eye. He was like an eagle hovering over its nest, overshadowing its young, then spreading its wings, lifting them into the air, teaching them to fly.


I love and marvel at the fact that God cares for us that much. That He treasures us. That He lavishes attention on us. We are never forgotten. We are never alone.

I guess it's the teacher in me that makes me appreciate the second part of the passage so much. God watches over us, His little chicks. He feeds us. He protects us. And then, when the time is right, He puts us on His wings and takes flight. We glide through the air with Him, powered by His mighty wings. We see how He does it, rising and falling while we hold onto Him for dear life. And suddenly, at some point, probably a different point for each of us, we look around and realize that it is our own wings that are beating. He hasn't deserted us, He is still there right alongside. But He has taught us enough that our own awkward flapping is keeping us aloft.

It is a theme to which I find myself returning often. Jesus left the world in our care. He taught his disciples and then trusted them enough to ascend. They taught others. And others taught us. Now we must use those lessons to do for others what Jesus would have done and we must return to his teaching whenever we need, whenever we can.

As we mature and are transformed, our wings beat stronger and faster. And we carefully lift the newborn and rise into the air. Teaching them to fly.

3 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger Root's Ramblings said...

Thanks for the encouraging passage from the Word. I always love looking at the various versions - the Message has to be my favorite. I am always in awe of how much God loves us and showers us with His love. I'm constantly being fed by the Word, which continually reminds me of the love and care that we must show to others.
God Bless!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Thanks Randy.

I know I became a more compassionate towards my students when I became a parent. I sometimes wonder if my son's teachers are worrying about him both academically and personally as I do my students. But even at that my compassion for my students pales in comparison to the love God has for us.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

It's amazing to me that no matter how old Israel gets God continues to care for it simultaneously as a Father, Bridegroom, and King.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters