Monday, November 27, 2006

Civilization IV

I didn't do much blogging during my week off, but that's not to say I didn't spend any time in front of the computer. Civilization IV is highly addictive and should be covered with warning labels. The problem is this: it's a turn-based game so there's always something about to happen. Have you ever read a book where the author develops a new plotline even as he is wrapping up an old one? You keep turning pages because there's always a new discovery around the corner. This game is like that. Something is always about to happen. So you think to yourself, "Just one more turn," and then you realize it's two in the morning.

So if you've ever wondered what it would be like if Alexander the Greek had ICBM missiles at his command...or if Queen Elizabeth had a defensive treaty with Cyrus of Persia...or if Ramses had invented Rock and Roll...play Civ IV. But if you have little or no willpower and you just have_to_know_what_happens_next, stay away. Far away.

5 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Welcome to the Civaholics club, Steve!

...and you're exactly right about the nature of the addiction: something is always incomplete, and something interesting is always just about to happen.

Just...one...more...turn...I...promise!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I'm really, really safe from this temptation. In fact, I have a lot of trouble even understanding what one could possibly find interesting.

But, the world is made of all kinds of folks, so don't look too down on me…

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I guess I’m a (prepare for Brady Bunch pun) “Greg / Brady” wannabe as well – I haven’t gotten into video or computer games. My wife would say I’m too busy watching the Discovery, History, or ESPN channels.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Tonya Power said...

I just want to say that it is misleading to group video games all into one category. You wouldn't normally group scrabble and hockey in the same category. Video games come in all types. If you like any type of game, there is a video like it. Some like word games. Some like action and shoot 'em ups. Some like my husband go for the strategy games. I also am hooked on Civilization IV. I like building simulation type games. My husband says that I just like to organize my opponents into submission. However, I have to limit my play time to once or twice a month. I have been known to go longer at times, but then I just spend way too much time on it when I return to the game.

 
At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with the majority of your commentors...but it does sound like my kind of game! I don't think I've played a video game since Pac-Man...and I could play that for hours. I'll just have to be content to read about civilization...or watch it on the History channel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters