Thursday, November 16, 2006

Spiritual Discipline

Richard J. Foster's book, "Celebration of Discipline" was one of the first Christian books I read that wasn't The Bible. I've read it twice and need to read it again. It reminds me of many of the things I can do to get closer to God and, more importantly, the joy of doing those things.

I was going through the book last night in preparation for Sunday's lesson. While reading about such acts as prayer, meditation, study, service, and worship, I was trying to remember specific times in my life when those things had brought me an undeniable feeling of God's presence. We've all had them. Those prayers where you felt Him sitting right next to you (or inside you) by the time you reached the Amen. Moments of clarity in study when you felt like you knew Him better than you did the moment before. Times of worship when your spirit soared so high you had the feeling of leaving earth behind. I hope Sunday to help people tap into those memories so that they don't think of spiritual disciplines as hard things, but as instruments of transformation and joy.

This isn't to say that the disciplines aren't hard work. It's to say that, as we mature, the work becomes enjoyable work and the results of it are measurable and profound.

Do you remember times like that? Care to share?

5 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

For me at least, I feel God's presence when everything else is stripped away. That is not the only time, but it does help me to focus. That is what so great about mission trips because it gives you a chance to be away from everything that you hold onto dearly and just focus on Him and His work there. Of course that is also an excuse why some people never go because they cannot let go. When I was in Switzerland this summer, my focus was God's plan for the readers and the church. I was too far to deal with the things back home. Those had to wait, until I returned. Something Jonah and we all sometimes forget is that God is everywhere, you cannot run away from Him.

When it comes to discipline, I think of the word "obedience". It is not the only part of being spirtually discipline, but is important to have in our relationship with God.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger twinmommy said...

What a thought provoking topic... I have to say most of my moments when I know that God has been undeniably right there with me have come through music. (This might be a little controversial for the CofC.) Being Lutheran, the link between prayer and music has always been extremely strong, and even in college when we would sing sacred pieces as part of our study for the quarter I would feel moments of such rightness that there was no doubt in my mind what was happening: God was inhabiting the same space as the music.

Perhaps this is a form of meditation, especially when you focus on the words you are singing. The music we have in our Christian history can move you to tears if you really let it infiltrate your soul and simply sing with the purity of voice that God has given to you. Pair that experience with an awe-inspiring brass choir or a chest-rattling pipe organ, and you've got a recipe for being in God's presence, and really KNOWING that you are having a spiritual experience.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Tonya Power said...

That book is one of my favorites. I'm sorry that I don't have it in my personal library. I do have another of his that follows similar lines titled "Freedom of Simplicity." I highly recommend it as well.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I referenced this on Greg’s blog. 3 years ago at the Mid-Ohio Valley Work Camp, I had a time of clarity in worship and service. Pat Pugh was our speaker that week. He was used powerfully by the Holy Spirit. In 3 days roughly 33 were brought to Christ while we painted 34 homes.

Each night, the teens (here’s a concept) literally refused to quit worshiping. Worship that started at 7 continued well past midnight. One night we were scheduled to go bowling but the teens wanted to keep worshipping. The busses were called and told to turn around.

For me, through the events of the day (supervising teens painting a house) and night, I felt close to God. I had clarity of thought and purpose. I will always remember that time.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

What is most amazing about the disciplines is the things we labor for now - intimacy with God; stuff free relationships with others; proximity to the Word - will be the freeing pleasures we enjoy in heaven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters