Monday, December 04, 2006

Let There Be Light!

THE CHRISTMAS MUSICAL IS LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY!!!

Okay, not really. It's almost two weeks away. I just wanted to see if I could make my sister spit coffee all over her keyboard.

Have you ever had somebody in your life who you loved like crazy, and then one day got to see them in action at what they do best? And you just sat there, silently mouthing the word, "Wow," over and over. And over.

Last night I had the joy of watching Sandra at work. Now, I'm not going to sugarcoat this. She has a reputation of being kind of...I'm gonna go with "bossy." Welp, it's true. (Yes, Wendy, I know I went with the lesser-used "welp" there. It was my early-morning effort at colloquialism.) But bossy in a really good way. She had the troops in line. They were listening up, following orders. Sandra would make a great middle-school teacher, Cecil. In fact, some of the troops were middle schoolers. And most of the rest of them were right there, y'know, mentally. Yet I had the distinct feeling that if Sandra would have yelled, "Jump," they would have all leapt to their feet and hit the air...the sopranos jumping highest of course, basses lowest. And so on.

And the verbiage. Oh, the wonderful musical language. You have to understand, I was only there as a narrator. My gift that I'm contributing is that I can read English and speak it into a microphone. And wear a tux. (OH, can I wear a tux.) But all of these people around me knew just what she was talking about when Sandra said things like, "Come in strong on the 34th bar and don't forget to hit your sixteenths." I say that stuff too, but I'm talking about graphing and measuring. I know just enough music to get me in trouble so I actually had an idea what she meant. And everyone did what she said. And guess what. It always...ALWAYS...sounded great when they did. I had the good fortune of sitting in front of Carolyn (timeless) for a while as she generously doled out her beautiful alto. I got to work with my good friend, Darla, my co-narrator, as she lent her sweet voice to words she spoke with belief and conviction. I got to hear people I love dearly sing solos and controlled myself for the most part. I have to admit that one of them got me crying pretty good. So it's a good thing that I'm listening to it now because if I didn't, I'd be trying to speak through a puddle the night of the performance. At the end I couldn't help but think, "If rehearsal is this good, what will the end result sound like??"

My music teacher was my sister. When I was younger she taught me some of the basics. So I knew why everyone got so loud at the fortissimo's and slowed down at the ritardo's. Actually, you've never seen so many ritardos in one place in your life. Ba dum pum. There was laughter and joy. Sandra kept things moving and light and fun and started and ended with prayer and everyone worked hard but above all...above all...God was praised. It was sweet. You should have been there.

Actually, you can be there. At least for the final result. "Let There Be Light" will be presented at 7:00 on December 17. The music is beautiful, the voices are amazing, the words remind us of God's amazing love through the gift of His son. And I look smashing in a tux. You are officially invited.

Sandra, you are incredibly gifted. And I couldn't be prouder at how you use your gift for His glory. It was fun watching you work. I can't wait for the next rehearsal. I love you, my sweet sister.

8 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I busted a gut when I read about all of the “ritardo’s” present. BTW – where any of the “ritardo’s” named “Ricky?”

My hat is off to Sandra for putting the time in to put on such a production that glorifies the name of the Lord. Wish I could be there. Does Southwest fly to Fresno?

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Often, when you're in the pulpit, I sit back and say..."wow". So, my sweet brother, thank you. It was a beautiful night with more to come.

BTW, my son said I'm a lot more laid-back than I used to be. That may be a compliment. But I know for sure it's God working in me!
(Wendy, I looked "laid-back" up on a grammer check software. You freak me out!)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Wow. Now my mere lurking presence on a blog inspires grammatical correctness. It's like The Force, Steve, but more...retentive.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim Power here.

So, like, when you said...

THE CHRISTMAS MUSICAL IS LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY!!!

...it wasn't just your sister who was in danger of spitting coffee all over her keyboard. Had I been drinking coffee at the very moment I read that, the company would have had to get me a new laptop. Thanks a lot, buster.

I'm the "Sandra" up at Rancho Cordova CofC (just with a much deeper voice). (And I'll need it for the Russian piece we're doing.) And our cantata is the same night as your musical. And there's so much left to do. And my company in its magnificent wisdom decreed that I must spend over a week in New Jersey (Where else to get in the Christmas spirit! It may not be snowy here yet, but it's really really really cold. And everyone talks like the mafia). And did I mention that there's so much left to do?

I've been enjoying working with my people, and the music is coming together and is starting to sound quite good. But I am nevertheless seriously looking forward to going back to work on December 18 and... just... relaxing.

So be good to your sister. Be very, very good. Or you could do what our fearless leader of years past has done, show up to the dress rehearsal wearing your Tux and some fuzzy bunny slippers. :)

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To cwinwc...I thought the SAME thing when I saw "ritardo". I am that "generous alto"...but I can sing softly also...Steve just didn't hear that. Sandra has done, and continues to do, an awesome job bringing out the best in all of us. Sandra...you are a joy!! The first "stage rehearsal" and getting the sound system worked out is usually quite frustrating, but THIS year, things seemed to just fall into place quickly with all the hard work done by the sound people...Lex and Dee - y'all are awesome too.

The X-Mas musical is THE highlight of my year...and I DO have a life as well...but the musical - it's the yearly joy that I can't wait for. It's so successful because the music comes from the Spirit in our hearts, and we want to lift the rafters and send it to heaven!

SO glad, Steve, you will be quite humble in the tux! I've gotta get a picture of that!

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So. I heard all about you giving your rendition to Mike "the PA" Ginsberg today! Are you going to officially invite him and his lovely wife, Anne as well??? HUMMMM? Now, I (in italics) gave him a slight little hint of "JOY to the World" from our practice CD. He WAS impressed.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger ashley marie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger ashley marie said...

This may be slightly wrong, but I'm really excited that I just get slip in there at the last minute and sing with the best around (not that I don't looooove the practices, mama. really...)

People down here generally think that they are the best (in practically all aspects of life, but especially singing). I just keep telling them that when they're ready to hear how "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" is supposed to sound, come to MY church!

After the impending doom of finals week I'm looking forward to a little "ritardando"...

See you in a week, Uncle Steve!
Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters