Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Jury Duty

One last thanks for everyone's comments on the "age of an elder" question (otherwise known as "how old is eld?"). There may have been one more reply since you last checked and I would encourage you to go read Tonya's thoughts. They touch on an aspect of this issue that I truly hadn't considered.

Yesterday I drove to beautiful downtown Fresno and parked across the street from Grizzlies Stadium. A tram took me and all my new best friends to the courthouse where we received our orientation on how to be good jurors. A judge dropped by to tell us how really, really important we all were and then the nice lady got back up and uttered the following heart-stopping sentence:

"We have a trial starting today with a projected end-date of June 30."

June 30. June 30??? But school's out on June 2. Hey, wait a minute! That's my summer vacation!!!

The nice lady then proceeded to call the names of the jurors who were to report to Division 21 and I could feel the cold, clammy hand of fate squeezing my head like a grape. When she read my name I let out a groan and got up to follow the crowd to the building next door with the metal detectors.

I should point out here that I have no aversion to jury duty. I'm all about civic duty and whatnot and I actually find the whole process very interesting. It's just...well...it's summer vacation!!!

We all assembled and a different lady (not as nice) called roll. Then the judge bounced in and cracked some jokes and read a little declaration which informed us that we were about to hear a case involving the rape of a minor. Oh. No.

I won't go into details for obvious reasons. But I felt like my blood got just a little colder when I heard what the case was about. Between my 18-year-old niece and the hundreds of young ladies I have been privileged to know at Sunnyside High, the thought of hearing this case made me just a little nauseous.

The judge then told us that he expected to hear the entire case by Friday. That was the first time we understood that we weren't on the June 30th case. That helped a bit. Then the long process of jury selection began. People told about themselves and the judge seemed actually interested in who these people were. He acknowledged the seriousness of the event, but kept things light enough that people could share freely. We stopped for lunch, we came back, we started over, and at 2:45 we had a jury. I never even made it into the box.

So it's business as usual today. But somewhere in the back of my mind, I can't stop thinking about that young man whose fate is being decided this week. Or the even younger girl who will have to tell her story to a room of complete strangers. Or 14 of my new best friends who will make the difficult decision. And it all makes me grateful for the protection God has granted me and mine over the years (kitchens notwithstanding). And for the perfection of His righteous judgment. And most of all, for the sacrifice that did away with a law I could not keep and the blood which makes me whole...free...guiltless.

4 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve! Just thought I would say hello! Go Braves. I have been called to jury duty twice now, and both times have never even made it into the selection room! I guess we just have oodles of caring citizens out there that love to fulfill their civic duty!
It is also true, that I love the idea of sitting in on a trial and being a juror, participating in the whole judicial process, but not if it gets in the way of my own plans(like summer vacation!). I thought you might make a connection to our spiritual lives. Church, spirituality, helping others, etc. are all things we want to do, but not if it gets in the way of my own plans!
Aside from that, hey! you gotta love that summer vacation, huh?!
Shane Mason

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

The last time I had jury (and I was able to find my way to the courthouse Randy/crack-back on “Florida slam” on recent post) duty I was one of 35 jurors (numbered 1 – 35) asked to stand in preparation for a trip to a courtroom. The problem was 36 people stood up and got in line. The Court Matron must have been a retired school teacher for it didn’t take her any time to become quite frustrated with the “36” of us that stood up.

She asked twice for everyone to look at their number but no one sat down. She said, “I hope the judge yells at whichever one who can’t read a number or follow instructions.”

I said a little prayer to God and thanked him that others had to live in my world as well.

Glad your summer wasn’t ruined.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Really Really Big Man said...

Having summer off when you are either a student or a teacher is a sacred kind of thing. I only experienced it as a student, but because of that can obviously relate. I was on a jury once in NC in 1993. Convicted a thief/kidnapper. Received a "thank you" from the Sheriff who said they had been trying to "get" this guy for a while. Felt kinda good about that. Good entry. Enjoy your summer ... sounds like you've earned it.
Random Rich

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I do pray justice will be done in this case.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters