Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Baseball Lingo

The Angels are mired in a 2-10 slump. They can't hit, they can't pitch, and they can't field...triple threat. They're painful to watch right now. I'm sure they'll improve but if I want to get my kicks from the world of baseball right now, I'll have to do it a different way. So it's time to list some of my favorite terms from the world's greatest sport. Cecil, Keith, everyone else: join in at will.

chin music

digging in

seeing-eye grounder (also known as a groundball with eyes)

can o' corn

humpback liner

throwing junk

hitting a gapper

bringing one back

1-2-3 double play

the back end of a double steal

throwing the deuce, the uncle charlie, the 12 to 6 curve, the yakker

texas leaguer

pulling the chain

the longball, the roundtripper, the dinger

shoelace catch (also known as off the shoetops)

riding the pine (one I'm very familiar with)

leadoff, 2-hole, cleanup

the 5.5 hole (made famous by Tony Gwynn)

warning track power

at'em balls

That's all the "top of my head" stuff. I'm sure I'll add more later. And I can't wait to hear yours. I love the language of the game. One more for the road trip:

get away day

7 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Steve Puckett said...

Listening to Vangelis whilst receiving a massage? Is that another term for the umpiring sucks?

Hot corner blues
Keystone
fireman
Bronx cheer
around the horn
alley
brushback
bang bang play
bandbox
basket catch
caught looking
cheese
cellar
cutter
cycle
dish
high and tight
hill
painting the black
seeing eye single
pickle
pick
rubber game
rope
Ruthian
southpaw
suicide squeeze
tater
tools of ignorance
twin killing
uncle charlie
utility player
wheel house
whiff
yakker
set up man
table setter

My two favorites: screwball and fungo

That's all I have to say about that.

You can take the quiz here:

http://channelone.com/sports/2005/04/29/baseball_lingo/

Peace.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

small ball
high cheese
station to station
splitter
spitter
circle change
drop down (pitching style)
runner hosed at home - (suicide squeeze play in which batter does not lay down a bunt and the runner from third is left out to dry)
we "dimed them" - lose or win by 10 runs
indicator - signal from 3b coach to obey next signal
BP
fielder's choice
infield fly rule
battery - pitcher and catcher
he has a "rifle" or "gun"

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Steve (Kirby) Puckett is my new hero.

Vangelis rocks.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Brady said...

That is a lot of information. There are some real fans out there.

I do have a question, though. If the Angels are in a division with only four teams, aren't the statistics better for them to get into the playoffs than for a division with, let's say, 6 teams?

Do you know who makes the decisions about those kind of things? I'd like to know if you have an answer.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

vy
The Angels, A's, Rangers, and Mariners DO have a better statistical chance of making the playoffs than any other teams. I think the realignment was done by the Commissioner's Office solely based on geography. For instance, before realignment, the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West. Having just been in Georgia, I can testify that it ain't west.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Steve Puckett said...

It's nice to be related to famous people!

Bingle, bingle, all we need is a single.

Hum it to me now, hum it to me!

Peace.

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Ok. Thanks for the info. Now I feel sorry for those teams in a 6 team division.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters