Friday, April 28, 2006

A Message

Having the unenviable task of sitting on a certain committee recently, I learned an amazing thing. Steady yourselves now. This may shock you. Here it is. Ready?

Deep breath.

Not everybody likes my preaching.

Or my teaching. Or my work on the Worship Committee. Or probably, just the thought of me going around talking to people, spreading my liberalistic chatter.

This bugged me for a while as I see no reason in the world that everybody shouldn't love me, want to take me home, make me their best friend and feel sad every moment that they can't be with me. Certainly, if nothing else, the world should respect all of my opinions and celebrate the inspiring and motivational manner in which I communicate them. Right?

Right?

Hello?

Okay, sometimes I have a little trouble getting over myself. As a fellow mathie at my school told me once when I told him he certainly didn't have any problems with self esteem: "Oh, but I do! I have far too much of it!"

So there I was, enmeshed in my study of Isaiah and feeling sorry for myself and for those who didn't fully appreciate me. I was wondering what I was really doing with my teaching. Was I making any difference? Was it worth the hours, the headaches, the time spent away from other pursuits like, y'know, video games?

And God gave me a gift. He put the following scripture right in front of my face.

"The Lord God gave me the ability to teach so that I know what to say to make the weak strong. Every morning he wakes me. He teaches me to listen like a student. The Lord God helps me learn, and I have not turned against him nor stopped following him. I offered my back to those who beat me. I offered my cheeks to those who pulled my beard. I won't hide my face from them when they make fun of me and spit at me. The Lord God helps me, so I will not be ashamed. I will be determined, and I know I will not be disgraced. He shows that I am innocent, and he is close to me. So who can accuse me? If there is someone, let us go to court together. If someone wants to prove I have done wrong, he should come and tell me. Look! It is the Lord God who helps me. So who can prove me guilty?" (Isaiah 50: 4-9, NCV)

I truly do search for the heart of God when I teach. I pray before even thinking of putting a lesson together and I study diligently. I know that what I teach sometimes is off the radar for people, especially Church of Christ people. So I try to communicate difficult things with humility and understanding. I listen to other viewpoints with an open mind and encourage others to do the same. But ultimately, I teach what I believe God wants taught.

So, yes, criticism gets under my skin. But close-mindedness and traditionalism make me want to scream. And, like the prophet said, if those folks want to take me to court, let's go. I'd LOVE to hear what the Judge has to say.

Now, why would I be drawn to that passage? It had nothing to do with the lesson I was teaching. What would make my eyes go to that page? Why would I be reading it out of the New Century Version, the only version that puts the message in terms of "teaching?" I wasn't preaching from the NCV...why was I reading from it? And why would it come along at just the right time?

C'mon. You know why.

6 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Matt said...

I offered my cheeks to those who pulled my beard

I HATE it when that happens in bible class!

Seriously, Thurm, Isaiah is such an important book in the story of scripture - and it is largely ignored except for when people need a good messianic text at Christmas or Easter. So, more power to ya!

Keep turning the other beard, brother!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Brady said...

The preacher isn't always right and he has to learn from those he is teaching. Truth is important. A humble spirit also. Sometimes our beards get pulled because they need to get pulled.

Isaiah as portrayed in the book was always faithful. This preacher here is not in his league, so I've got to be open not only to what I think God wants me to say, but also to the community of faith.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Larry said...

Certainly criticism is nothing we want a full diet of, in fact even a small amount is sometimes tough to swallow.

Preacher popularity is a lot like the presidential elections; the winning candidate usually wins by only a small margin, and may lose by popular vote. So if you have 1000 members in your church at least 500 like you, and 500 think you should have been a farmer. :)

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Steve, You know I'm one of the folks that "get to" sit on the pews on some of your teachings and I thoroughly enjoy and learn each time I listen. We have a few speakers that I enjoy, but I trully do listen to you because you get my attention, and then you keep it!!!! That is the hardest part of all. I can appreciate your teaching mostly, I think, because of the open mindedness God has blessed me with, and you. I think for me the hardest part of most teachings is when I hear someone discuss God in such a way as to put Him in a box a close the lid, God is much bigger than alot of people think He is and so we need to let Him in from all angles, not just the ones that sound good and are effective for our lives. We take the bitter with the sweet, and we make cranberry juice......Marsha

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Really Really Big Man said...

Brother, I appreciate your candor. I too wonder why folks wouldn't like me. I am a likeable guy. I figure they are jealous of my likeableness (is that a word?) or they are intimidated or threatened by me for some odd reason. Perhaps they do not like themselves and it spills over onto others. I came to the realization that for whatever the reasons, some folks are just not going to like me and that is okay. It is not my problem. I must just keep liking myself because God made me and He loves me just the way I am, warts and all.

I think you are a special person because you understand that listening to and accepting others viewpoints regardless of whether they agree with yours is a wonderful gift to impart. You make others feel important and give them value when you listen to them and don't put them down for thinking differently. Good for you!

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone wise once told me, "It's NONE of YOUR business what anyone thinks of you as long as you are doing the very best you can." You are such a blessing to our church family. You have a God-given gift, and I never fail to gain emmense strength and hope from your messages. I hear God speaking to me through you. You are wise beyond your years...oh yes, you DO carry your age well...and I adore you because you are funny just like my kids. And another thing...I can totally hear and UNDERSTAND every word you say...literally! (There's only one other of our many speakers that I can say that about - although I know the messages are wonderful, I sometimes find it difficult "keep up" with the words spoken - and I don't have a hearing problem...I had that checked. Maybe it's the sound system...) Anyway, you present things in innovative, amazing ways...it's a gift...and for that, I am so thankful. (You see, I think God has a sense of humor too.) But, I am just one person...one opinion. If you feel the effects of the nay-sayers, imagine how Paul felt...and he was given the order to spread the message of salvation by Christ, personally! Just keep doin' what your are doing - sometimes the teacher learns as much as those being taught. I don't see you as having an "ego issue"...what I see is someone who isn't afraid to show a positive attitude or to express the joys of being blessed.
And I SO enjoyed your lessons on the Old Testament Kings!! You made them relevant to us in today's time.
Thanks, Steve, for just being YOU!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters