Friday, April 21, 2006

Spring Cleaning

Clearing away the cobwebs of my cluttered mind.

Warm weather makes me happy. Warm weather in the Spring makes me happier still. It means that baseball is in season. It means that Summer Vacation approacheth. It means James and I can play outside. It means, above all, that I won't be cold. I hate to be cold.

Henri Nouwen says, "Our desire for God is the desire that should guide all other desires. Spiritual disciplines are not ways to eradicate all our desires but ways to order them so that they can serve one another and together serve God." I want my desire to be for God and God alone. I want to inspire others to grow closer to God through study and prayer.

I think that Shane from Survivor is probably the most objectionable person alive.

Here are some songs that never fail to put me in a good mood: "Have You Ever Loved A Woman (live version from "One More Car, One More Driver") by Eric Clapton..."Presence" by Newsboys..."Homecoming" by Green Day..."Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5..."Reunion" by Collective Soul.

I love words. I enjoy poetry and certain authors because of their gift for putting words in a pleasing order. I like activities with their own vocabulary too. Math has it. Baseball has it. (A future post needs to be all of my favorite baseball phrases...it's a language all it's own.) Poker has it too. Occasionally Lisa will walk in on a game to hear somebody say something like, "I almost went all in on 4th Street when I filled that gutshot straight, but I knew you'd river the boat." Then she will turn around and walk out.

For the record, Lisa is always invited to play, she just doesn't want to. Some of my favorite poker memories are from gender-equal tables.

My Isaiah study has been interesting, both for what people know about him and for what they don't know. I love the Old Testament for the stories it tells me about my God and the glimpses it gives me of my Savior. Thanks to those who commented. I'm looking forward to Sunday's lesson...and that's not always true.

The Angels need to...stop...making...errors. We lead the majors in errors and unearned runs allowed. That's not how we win.

I love that the elders at College don't do anything without prayer. No decision is made, no meeting is started, no need is addressed without taking it to the Father first. I love that they are as willing to cry together as to laugh together and that they do a lot of both. I love that I have a real friendship with most of them. I love that there are at least 5 men that I could take any problem to, no matter how serious or how personal, and know that my burden would be shared. These guys have some important decisions to make in the next few months and are viewing it as a great opportunity to serve their church and their God. I pray for them daily, usually by name.

I pray for all you bloggers out there too.

My mind is still cluttered but I need a new broom. I'll clean more next week. Have a great weekend.

8 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I enjoyed the spring cleaning.

How about a head start on the baseball phrases blog and I'll even use two terms that are related:

"small ball"
"station to station baseball"

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Cecil, I think we need to collaborate on baseball-phrase day.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Steve - Sounds good. Almost as good as a 6-4-3 double play.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

My favorite is the 1-2-3 double play. So cool.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Keith Davis said...

I like watching my son "catch the ball on the fly" or "diving in the hole at short." There are others like, "taking his foot off the rubber," and "he died on base."

Here is one that has two versions when I coach, "keep your eyes on the ball" or "keep your head on the ball."

I would love to be in on this!!:)

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Consider yourself "in," Keith. Next week, we blog baseball terms!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Really Really Big Man said...

Baseball is such a great sport. It saddens me that MLB has so many problems with steroids. I enjoy watching minor league ball ... seems pure. The stadium is about 10 miles from my house, but I don't get to go as much as I would like. I was offered free tix for today's Midland Rockhound-San Antonio Mission game, but it is 90 degrees out and muggy, which is very weird for Midland. I may go anyway ... without my wife (don't tell her I said that).

Regarding weather ... I was born in New Jersey and lived there for 37 years so I am very familiar with muggy weather. It was muggy in Fayetteville, NC, where I lived for 9 years. I have been in West Texas for 4 years and the weather, especially in the Midland-Odessa area redefines HOT. We are talking "turn me over I'm done on this side" oven-like heat. I really dig it when it's 105 degrees and windy (can you say 30-40 mph winds). Then it feels more like a convection oven then a conventional one, if you know what I mean.

Enjoyed your entry ... will check in as often as possible to see what's up with you. Good luck to your Angels. I am a Yankee fan. The way that I look at their 8-8 start is ... "it's not how you start, but rather how you finish that matters". I think you would probably agree. Viya con Dios!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I can already tell that I do NOT want to play poker with you, because my favorite line is: Does a straight beat a flush?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters