Friday, March 31, 2006

I'm A Big Phony

The recent discussion of what the Church of Christ is is both important and revealing. Matt Ritchie has a prophetic post about it in his blog. My problem is, the more I read about it, the more I write about it, the more I think about it, the more I have to honestly admit how different my thinking is from mainstream C of C.

I am not going to reveal today just how different my thinking is. I probably will, bit by bit, over time and I expect criticism and correction and concern along the way. Suffice it to say for the nonce (isn't that a great expression?) that I do not arrive at my beliefs easily or without careful thought and study. And as to the scriptures you're all going to throw at me some day, yes, I've read all those too.

It's easy to say, "I don't believe that a capella music is fundamental to salvation." Even the die hards are giving in on that one. Which is not to say that there aren't people who think I'm going to hell for believing it. But the fact is that the issue of music is a layup compared to the ones I will be taken to task for in time. Women's roles. Unity with other denominations. Baptism.

Why does all this make me feel like a big phony? Because I teach at a C of C. And I preach at a C of C. And if I were ever interviewed and asked about the BIGGIES, I may have taught my last class there and preached my last sermon. I feel as though I'm hiding something, even though I'm passing along the words I'm given and serving where I've been led. For now, I think my best course of action is to follow the advice of Mike Cope and start doing more...and talking less. I don't mean this to be a cop out, but it's Friday. Spring Break is coming. And I just think I'll wait a bit longer to air all my dirty laundry.

Tomorrow is the second attempt at tee ball for James. That just seems more important for some reason.

6 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never claimed to "understand" or except all of CCoC's points of views or opinions. What I DO claim is that I am a very simple woman. I walked through the doors of CCoC 6 years ago because I had family there and I was seeking to have God in my life. My family is all gone, Jesus remains, and I continue to seek the relationship my heart tells me to seek in Jesus. I find that for me, when I have to get "knee-deep" in the thought provoking conversations, I don't feel so close to my God, because man is telling me what I need to know and believe,and in that, I become a guppy sometimes in a very dangerous tank. I start to feel a little vulnerable. I know that for me, I have so much to learn, and I count on God for that, He has led me to a wonderful place where I CAN recieve His word, and walk out most Sundays feeling full. I say most Sundays because I do tend to let myself get in the way of God, sometimes feeling a sense of arrogance because I didn't "get it", as if God only speaks to me and not others, thus the arrogance. Please, to all my new fellow bloggers, do not be offended by the things I say, they truly are my heart speaking. May we all forever be free to speak the things of God and to help others in their thoughts also. I hope I didn't ramble too much. Marsha R.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Judy, you are sweet beyond words. I love you too...and all my bloggin'-hope-to-meet'em-face-to-face-soon brothers and sisters.

Marsha, you are simple in that you are uncomplicated. You are NOT simple in that your profound words and Christ-centeredness are an example to me and others.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I love you and am always proud of who you are and what you represent.

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pray!! Marsha

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Steve - I so appreciate you and I look forward to you sharing with us. I think I have many similar thoughts along the lines of where you may be going.

What ever the case, our fellowship has always professed to adhere to the doctrine of “church autonomy.” We just haven’t done a very good job of practicing it in the past. What do say we start here my fellow bloggers?


Hey - Since I'm elder and if you need to look for another (not that I'm trying to steal him Sandra)preaching job, give me a call!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Cecil...you crossed a line, buddy!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters