Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What Happened Instead

No crazy dads showed up at yesterday's Open House. At least, none showed up at my room.

Instead, it rained cats and dogs. Some teachers had as few as two parents attend. I had 14 kids represented by moms, dads, aunts, and foster moms...none of them crazy.

That's pretty much how the whole day went. The lesson yesterday was on factoring (don't worry, I won't elaborate) and two of my toughest kids, from two different classes, were johnny-on-the-spot with every answer. They were the first to finish the assignment and were helping the other members of their groups, much to the collective astonishment of all.

There was a luncheon yesterday honoring kids who have been working hard and showing improvement. It wasn't for "A" students necessarily, just for those who have decided their studies are important. Each student was allowed to invite a staff member who has helped or influenced them. One of my Algebra students invited me and I got a free ham sandwich, chips, candy bar, and a world of positive reinforcement. Sunnyside does this once a quarter and it is always a great way of honoring both kids and teachers.

Lex came to keep me company last night and to watch my back. No muscle was needed but it was nice to have him there. We didn't get to visit as much as I would have liked because the stream of parents was so steady, but that's a good thing. The ones who brave the rain to come to Open House are the ones you definitely want on your side. We had some great exchanges, got a couple of kids back on track, and it all went extremely well.

The day taught me two things. First, it reminded me of how much good there still is in this job, even in the toughest of years. One of the Open House attendees brought his older sister with him who was my student two years ago and a real favorite. She gave me a great hug and told me she missed me. You really can't beat that.

Secondly, I was reminded for the umpteenth time...that is a number by the way, somewhere around a gazillion...that prayer is not only effective but powerful. God isn't just faithful to give us what we need, He rejoices in mashing it all together and just showering us with it. I guess I can understand that. It's how I feel when I give my son something. I am so blessed to know so many righteous people whose prayers availeth much. I slipped into King James there for a second but the sentiment is pure. I love all you prayer warriors and am very grateful.

4 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Randy, you had me right up to the last line. Then I just got all nauseous.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Interesting...you can laugh yourself out of a chair and feel sick to your stomach all at the same time...but Randy has often made me feel that way.

I've never known anybody as tender and gentle as Lex. However, there is a side of him that could literally rip somebody's head off their neck if they mess with his loved ones in some way.

I am blessed today to see how much God showered on you yesterday.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, here I am, getting into the conversation a day late. That's my "M.O." for life, Day late and a dollar (or More) short. It does not matter to me though because the laughter is all that counts. (Oh yes and Steve"s health!!) You guys ARE a trip as meowmix said. I am having a wonderful time just going along for the ride, I don't even need to ask "Are we there yet?" because I'm having a great time in the car! I'm so happy that all is well and you have a guardian angel in Lex. You also have one more person keeping you in their prayers, me!! Peace, Marsha R.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Steve - If we meet this summer and Lex is around, please tell Lex that I like you!

Early in my teaching career I had a principal tell me that you never know when something you say or do, that you feel is insignificant will make an indelible mark on one of your students.

Keep making those “permanent marks” on your students.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters