Monday, March 27, 2006

Working Weekend

Tee Ball was rained out.

Rain was forecast all morning so we were pretty sure there would be no game. Still, we drove to the church hosting the league (People's Church) to pick up James' cap and shirt. I'd been wondering about the team cap for some time. According to reports, two years ago all of the players in the league were issued mesh caps with the "People's" logo on them. Mesh caps. For tee ball. They must have looked like a thousand midget truckers all running around in circles.

The news was better from last year, but still with a troubling side. Last year, the teams were actually named after Major League teams and issued caps accordingly. While this is a far better alternative than mesh (brrrrrrrrrrr...), it presents a possible dilemma. What if my kid ends up on the Yankees? Or worse, the A's fercryinoutloud??? I love baseball, I'm cool with most teams, and I acknowledge the far-flung possibility that James could end up on the Angels in this scenario. But with my luck, the kid would end up playing right field with an NY on his cap which would make him (deep breath) Gary Sheffield!

So it was that with great trepidation, we made our way to the back of the gym and found our coach. Who gave James a cap. A Major League Baseball Official Logo Cap. Which was black. With a yellow "P". Pirates. The "P" was for "Phew!" Looking around, I noticed that every kid in the gym was receiving the same cap and that's when I figured it out. The "P" was for "People's." Good compromise. Since all the shirts were different colors we could tell the players without a program. And Major League decorum remained established.

Rain or no rain, we spent about an hour in that gym. There was a couple I knew from College Church, there with their great-granddaughter. There were my good friends Lloyd and Danielle, there with their enormous boys. There was my large, life-saving VP, starting his son out in the same group as James. There were our friends Dave and Tracy, veterans of the tee ball biz. None of these people knew each other, yet we all knew them. And it was a church tee ball league that put us all in the same place. Now, if that doesn't get you thinking about the fun you're going to have introducing folks to other folks someday on the Other Side, then I don't know what will.

The rest of the weekend, in rapid succession:

Stop for donuts to make up for the rainout.

Lisa runs errands while I try to study for Sunday's sermon.

James needs me more than the books do and we hang out.

I write, erase, re-write, practice, prepare a Powerpoint presentation for, and re-practice the sermon.

My brain hurts. Watch Friday's "Deal or No Deal." Both contestants get greedy and end up with a grand total of $58.00 between them. I laugh hysterically.

The guy I asked to do the children's story preceding the sermon has to back out. Ugh.

Take James to Grammie's and go get sushi. Mmmmmmm...sushi.

Return home and write a children's version of Gideon.

Put together a Powerpoint for the kiddies.

(Tired yet?)

Look over the sermon one last time for the day.

Go to bed.

Get up.

Get to church early to go over Powerpoints with James, the AV guy.

(Side note: the AV guy is the unsung hero. Some hoo-hah from back east gave us all new slides for Sunday morning with, get this, NOTES. Now the AV guy gets blisters from all the clicking he has to do. Plus, he has to actually listen to the sermon to make the Powerpoint slides fit in the right places. Take your AV guy to lunch sometime. He deserves it.)

(Side note on the side note: The church loved...LOVED...the new slides. As a member of the Worship Committee and the Steering Committee and the Committee on Creating Committees, I heard at least a dozen different people say how much they appreciated having notes on the screen. Somebody should really market that kind of software. It is very well-done.)

Where was I?

Oh yeah.

Talk with the new children's story guy about the new children's story.

Pray.

Preach.

Visit the Smith group because they invited me there to pray over me. Seems they don't want me to die at the hands of Crazy Dad during Open House. I love my church family.

Go back to my class. Teach it.

Stay for Steering Committee meeting.

Skip a party due to severe headache. Wonder where it came from?

Go home. Nap. Heavily.

The rest of the weekend is kind of a blur. I felt prayers from all over this weekend though and I continue to feel them today. I know that my fellow bloggers are thinking about me and I want you all to know how much I appreciate it. As busy as it was, it was a good weekend and a great Sunday. It was so nice to have my sister and niece there after some time away. And nice to see a couple of my favorite people at church who I hadn't seen for almost two years.

God never said He wasn't going to work us. But His rewards are awesome. Now get back to work, would you?

4 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I love Mondays so I can catch up at work on the rest I lost on Monday.

Glad things went well. I do NOT have good memories of my dad laying hands on ME.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I'm with Greg. You need to get back to your day job for a break.

Enjoy the t-ball times. I've enjoyed for the most part each phase of Steven's baseball journey but t-ball was the best.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Randy can back my story up that we bought those "music with notes" slides years ago...I really mean YEARS ago...and I asked what it would take to incorporate them into our assembly. I never could seem to get anywhere with the whole issue because I'm "ignant" when it comes to tech stuff.

I'm so so grateful for Jon Frame and whatever nudging from the Holy Spirit that finally incorporated them into our time together.

People were absolutely thrilled!

By the way, your niece saved you a seat all through the party that you didn't show up at. She knew you would need extra care when you finally showed up after the meeting...but alas...no Uncle Steve.

Love you.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

That reminds me of Marko's post... sounds like a good dad day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters