Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What A Long, Strange Week It's Been

And it's only Wednesday morning.

I can't even write about everything that has gone on this week. As personal as we treat these blogs of ours, they are still part of the World Wide Web, the eternal ether, the invisible network connecting all humankind. So until the whole thing blows over just trust me when I say I can't go public about it, I will when I can, and it's been a long, long week already.

On to things I can talk about.

The weekend with James was fantastic. He woke me up nice and early on Saturday morning

~~~Ugh. As we blog along together, you will learn that I am not an early riser by nature. I'm up at 6:00 on weekdays and I like to get to church early on Sundays to talk and pray with the speakers so Saturday is precious sleeping time. It is given up seldom and reluctantly, although with teeball starting in a few weeks I will probably be less reluctant to sacrifice my day of rest.~~~

and we watched some cartoons together. Through the miracle of DVR, I've been recording some things that I enjoy watching with James...Justice League, Teen Titans, that sort of thing. After breakfast, we played Star Wars.

THE RULES TO STAR WARS:

1. Set up iPod. Play mix of random Star Wars music. Loud.
2. Pour all action figures out of bag.
3. Take turns picking a hero/villain. James goes first.
4. Heroes do not have to go together, nor do villains. Some of the best matchups come from mixing the two. Who knew that Han Solo and Emperor Palpatine would both have it in for Mace Windhu???
5. The pick directly after the Millenium Falcon must be the TIE fighter. Obi-Wan's light saber goes with the Falcon as an extra power supply.
6. When the figures are divvied up, put one character in the middle to start the story. James goes first.
7. Take turns adding a character/ship to the story. The story can go anywhere you want, but it generally involves people having battles. When a character/ship dies, into the bag he goes.
8. James' characters win every battle unless Daddy says, "Hey, do I ever get to win one?"
9. Whoever gets rid of the other player's figures first wins.
10. This person is always James.

We also had some video games to play and some movies to watch. It was a cold, blustery weekend so the outdoor stuff was out from the getgo. But throw a pizza from Mother Mary's into all the playtime and it was a great day.

On Sunday, James got himself ready for church and we sat alone together on our pew. I had been priming him all week that I would have to get up and make an announcement. But I wasn't preaching and I would only be gone thiiiis long (thumb and forefinger held very close together). He did fine but when I sat back down he whispered...loudly..."Daddy. You were gone THIIIIIIS long!" (thumb and forefinger as far apart as they would go)

We were glad to see Lisa but had a very memorable time together.

Amazing Race note: I know it's Wednesday and you want to know if Dave and Lori are still in it. ME TOO! So don't tell me if you know...it's recorded and we'll watch tonight. For those of you who rely on me for all of your Nerd News, you'll find out tomorrow if they are alive and kicking.

5 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Good to see you back in the blog saddle. What ever the situation is you’re in my prayers.

This almost seems cliché’ but treasure these moments with James. Oh how I miss my “little boy.” I love my teen-age son but there’s something about the times when “Dad” isn’t a nerd and asked to stretch out of sight during practice when he is about to go run.

As far as the “Rules” are concerned:
1. Nice touch.
2. Sounds organized.
3. A given.
4. Our first scriptural impasse. Can you mixed “items of Star Wars characters?
5. Back to the sound doctrine of Star Wars “Patternism.”
6. A good coc family always divides up the characters.
7. (For Sandra) – Will there be a viewing held for deceased characters?
8. Sign of a healthy Father / son relationship.
9. Reminded of lyrics from a country song with a Star Wars touch, “There are winners, and losers, and Galactic Cruisers.”
10. Shouldn’t be any other way.

(With thumb and forefinger stretched) Glad to see you back blogging. We missed you (see above) this much.

Take care.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Thanks, Cecil. Blogging today has helped me feel like things are settling down. You have become some very good, very reliable friends.

Oh, and your comments about the rules busted me up.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I'm confused about the eternal ether. Is that a good or a bad thing?

Getting up at six is a good thing. I actually get up at 7, but that's a lot earlier than you because it's before you even go to bed.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

I'm confused about time zones. I have this feeling that if I just continued moving backwards across time zones forever and ever, then I would never age.

Maybe that's part of the eternal ether too.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Brady said...

If you figure out the time zone thing, then please let me know. I am totally confused about the international dateline. Even on the globe I don't see why it's necessary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters