Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Nerd Love


The new season of The Amazing Race began last night and I have a clear favorite. It's David & Lori from Manhattan, Kansas...self-described nerds.

Nerd love is a wonderful thing. My own marriage is mixed--one nerd, one non-nerd--so I've never known the full glory of having your own nerdness reflected back at you. Oh, there have been moments. When Lisa was in the Geography Club at Fresno State and used to wear a t-shirt around with a...wait for it...map of the world on it. Or when we had waited for so long to see the Matrix sequels and then spent hours complaining together about how lousy they were. Or when she surprised me one night with the Princess Leia slave girl outfit. No. Wait. That was Ross and Rachel. Never mind.

Still. Good times. Good times.

I'm not going to fool myself though. I know that there is only one true nerd in our couple. It's the person who can identify which artist drew a comic book by looking at a single panel. It's the person who hums John Williams music when he showers. It's the person who skipped work to go to the employee's showing of Jedi in 1983 and then, when it was over, circled the theater to get in line for the first official showing of opening day. It's the person who likes to challenge himself to see how many seconds into an episode of Star Trek he can name the title ("OK, Spock's at his console at the science station, a redshirt enters from the lift, GAMESTERS OF TRISKELION! 5.3 seconds? Rats!")

So it is that I'm going to live vicariously through David and Lori, at least as long as they keep from being eliminated. And here's hoping that they really nerd it up. I want to see her call him Aragorn and him call her Arwen in a romantic French plaza. I want to see them engage in a fake light saber battle on a bridge in Moscow. I want to see them buy long trench coats and walk the streets of a rain-soaked street in Canada referring to themselves as Agent Mulder and Agent Scully. I want to see them whip fedoras out of their backpacks in Tuscany and proclaim themselves Tuscan Raiders.

Most of all, I want to see them win. Because you just know that if they get the million, David will drop to a knee, take Lori's hand in his and say, "Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as husband and wife." Ahhhh, nerd love.

13 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I have NO IDEA what that blog was about. My kids have taken the nerd test on the internet. They were disappointed they didn't score any nerdier.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Move over Brady and Greg, I understood every word of Steve's blog. Call me a halfbreed, a nerd wannabe or as Jean Luc would say, "Make it so."

P.S.
Let me know if you have access to the Princess Leia outfit.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Steve - tears from the right coast. I just took the Nerd Test Brady mentioned. I'm "not nerdy!"

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Cecil, for the record I am a "Mid-level nerd" with 25% of the people who took the Nerd Test scoring higher than me.

I'm not sure why I'm proud of that.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

My nerd test ranked me as a redshirt at best, a wannabe, a closet nerd. I'm fine with that.

Hey Steve, didn't you end up with your picture in the paper as evidence of skipping work to see Episode I?

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Wendy, that is completely false. It was a Special Edition re-release that led to the fateful newspaper photo.

Greg, as a follower of Jesus I have learned to love everybody, nerds and non-nerds alike. The link stays.

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Steve. Though I don't know how to interpret my nerd results. I took the test and it confirmed that you were a nerd.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Tim Jolly said...

I'd tell you my nerd test score, but only after confirming your real identity, after all, we can't have them knowing it, now can we. I never camped out to watch a movie, except Strang Brew, at Manchester, and the only other people there were security guys aking us, "Now, one more time, why do you have a tent and a coleman stove ?"

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me just say that I only wore the map shirt out in public ONCE and Steve wears a shirt all the time that has "pi" on it. Trust me, HE IS VERY MUCH A NERD!!!

But, I still love him. Star Trek and all.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I'm adopted.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Sandra: Ouch.

Judy: Just do a Google search using "nerd test."

Or, if you'd rather, compile your own nerd test using the comic books, graphic novels, action figures, widescreen dvd's, and your collection of Star Trek and Star Wars novels in the spare bedroom that had to be converted to a storage unit because of all your "collectibles." Then upload results to your own website using whichever FTP you prefer.

Oh, and for the record, you are ALL bloggers, which scores you at least one point on any nerd test.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Lisa - as far as loving a husband who likes Star Trek, you have alot in common with my wife.

Judy - My nerd score was 25%. I'm one quarter nerd and 3/4ths I don't know what.

Sandra - lol.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to de-lurk and say this post and the subsequent comments made me laugh so hard my four year old sitting beside me started to get worried.

I took the nerd test awhile back, and I am a mid-level nerd. I was SURE that my husband would score even higher than me, (with all the Star Wars memorabilia and an entire musuem of ALL his childhood toys in their original boxes in our storage unit) but alas it turns out he is just a geek.

Thanks for the laugh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters