Friday, February 10, 2006

Friday Mish Mash

Last night we saw "Nemo On Ice." James had a blast. Lisa would have had a good time if not for her headache. You know it's bad when Mickey doesn't make her smile. I enjoyed the Zamboni.

This morning's reading from Barclay: "It's not very logical to fulminate against political apartheid and practise ecclesiastical apartheid. So long as the church is disunited within herself, she can have little influence as an advocate of unity amongst men."

The weather in Fresno this week has been in the high 60's and low 70's. And I haven't missed a day at work. Believe me, if I wasn't going to be missing a few days for Disneyland and a few more when my wife takes me to Georgia in May, some golf would have been played. I get very Ferris Beuller-like when the sun comes out. "How can I be expected to go to work on a day like this?" I ask.

The weather has me thinking about baseball. Have you contemplated the Dominican Republic's potential line-up for the World Baseball Classic? 1B: Albert Pujols. 2B: Alfonso Soriano. SS: Miguel Tejada. 3B: Adrian Beltre or Aramis Ramirez. LF: Manny Ramirez. RF: Vladimir Guerrero. Sheesh! What are they going to do about those gaping holes in CF and at Catcher? And who is going to pitch aside from Pedro and Bartolo? I think the word the American team is looking for is "Yikes!"

In related news, Bengie Molina is mouthing off about how badly the Angels treated him in letting him go. I love Bengie, always will. But I think his attitude has more to do with the 3-year deal he turned down with the Mets only to have to sign a 1-year deal for less money with the Blue Jays. He said it's "about winning." Okay. So the Mets have no prayer against the depleted Braves and sold-off Marlins while the Blue Jays look sterling in their quest to unseat the Yankees and Red Sox. Whatever.

Yesterday, Lisa drove James' neighborhood buddy, Cody, to school. They were talking about King Kong and Cody kept mentioning the "savages." James asked him what savages were. Cody said, "They're crazy people with bad manners."

I still am churning with "A Generous Orthodoxy" and plan some posts next week. What I loved about the book was how McLaren went back to the roots of Protestantism, Methodism, Lutheranism, etc. and showed what was good in their beginnings and what can be brought forward to today. Very informative for those of us who are shaky on our church history and incredibly useful for those of us who want to see the church unite and love God as one.

There is a chance...a pretty good chance...that we will be making chicken tacos for dinner on Sunday. Lisa says she has forgotten how to grocery shop, but I'm sure it will all come back to her. Imagine, though, having to fill a refrigerator. Not restock, but fill. There's no butter, no condiments, no salsa (!)...none of those things that you go buy when the bottle runs out. We're excited at the thought of cooking and eating at home. I wish we could invite you all.

Time to write a Calculus lesson or two. Have a great weekend.

2 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

We're heading to Georgia in May? Has Lisa gotten you a tee time at Augusta National?

I love Mexican food so enjoy the chicken tacos.

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inviting all of us over for dinner is like inviting crazy people with bad manners.

We can, as the WV will attest, get rather routy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters