Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Heresy!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts yesterday. It's nice to know you care, even if some of you would refuse to accept a ride from me.

One of the caring elders at College suggested that I annoint my car with oil to rid it of its evil spirit. I would rather annoint it with gasoline. And light a match.

Randy, I want you to know in particular how much your comments meant. Lisa almost fell off her chair laughing last night. Where can I get a copy of the RDW version? Puts the New Century Version to shame. "Buy American!" Heh.

Thoughts are still churning from ZOE. It's always interesting to find out how people felt about everything. I wish I could be a fly on the wall this weekend when Sandra flies back to Nashville for a ZOE recap.

I often wonder who might be offended by different comments and changes in worship style during the conference. Lisa and I were talking last night about serving communion together on Sunday. We had done this before during other conferences but this time she ended up helping me pass the collection plate. It hit me last night how unusual that must have been for some people to take the plate from or pass it up to a female. Would anyone withhold their contribution because we dared to have a woman helping? One never knows.

William Barclay wrote, "The church is full of people who think that there is no way of doing things but their way. To change a customary or traditional way of doing things is worse than heresy. But the way of doing things that annoys us may be the way of doing things which brings salvation to someone else's soul!"

"No one has a total monopoly of the truth or of doing things in the right way."

10 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Women serving communion - might give somebody the idea that Lisa is a servant.

Aren't the guys/girls serving communion, "serving" communion?

I've never understood the heartburn some folks have over women (here's that word again) "serving" communion.

Sure would like to be in Fresno (O.K., if you have one of the elders annoint your car and pray over it I'm O.K.with you picking me up in the car from Hades.) when you and Lisa "serve" together.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

We'd love to have you here, Cecil. Anytime you get tired of the hurricanes and humidity, you are welcome.

Lisa and I will serve you dinner AND communion!

(Greg, I can't imagine any situation in which I might find myself in a CofC in the deep south. Yikes.)

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

So the fact that I read the Bible as part of services in Malibu when we were there means I should just pick out my handbasket, as y'all know where I'm going...?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I forget how blessed we are to have a place like College to serve at.

I know we get frustrated at times, but we have so much freedom...we take it for granted!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Steve - lol!

"Dinner and communion" sounds like a T.V. show.

A coC reality show Staring Steve, his communion serving wife Lisa, his #1(or #106) son James, and his possessed car.

Sandra - Amen. I tell Greg the same thing about LB all the time. Our church is moving in that direction.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Judy, you're right and that was a flippant thing for me to say. I can imagine plenty of reasons I would go to a southern CofC and they all involve being invited to one by people like you.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

That's funny...I don't think of Tennessee as being in the "deep south" at all I guess since I HAVE been to a CofC in Nashville.

Wouldn't it be a kick if we could ALL visit each other's churches?

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We often talk about "heaven on earth." Assuredly it was the early church when the individual yielded his way of doing things to better serve another. Why is this not the focal point of restoration?

Steve, if you need help with any other difficult passages let me know. The RDW version is helpful in many of those sticky translation areas.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

How about a "Preacher / Elder Exchange" for our blog community.

We've had Greg on our home court. Who wants to be next?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters