Thursday, January 19, 2006

ZOE 2006

This will most likely be my last post until Monday as I am looking forward to a weekend of "soaking it up." I have been blessed and changed by so many ZOE folk in just the last few years and I'm sure that God's hand will be all over this conference as well.

I appreciate Brandon Scott Thomas for his voice, leadership, and enthusiasm. I appreciate his blogging because it inspired me to start my own. Also for the face he made when I told him I had gum but he couldn't have any.

I appreciate Eric Noah-Wilson for his direction and hard-work. But mostly for sharing his pew with us for a Sunday in Nashville and taking us out for a good (good) brunch afterwards.

I appreciate Mike Cope for being clearspoken and straightforward. Great speakers often lose their humility. I'm not sure Mike even knows he's great. My niece and nephew are flying back to Abilene with him after the conference to park at his place and tour ACU. I'm more than a little jealous.

I appreciate Randy Harris and that's new. I just discovered Randy this week as I listened to some CD's from Pepperdine 2004. I'm looking forward to sitting at his feet in person.

Quick comment here: Randy voiced some thoughts about worship reform during that lecture series. The word he used was that it often seems so frantic. That resonated with me. Certainly, there is a place for dramatic presentations, powerpoint, responsive readings, praise songs, wireless roaming, and creativity in worship. But I long for a step in the other direction at times as well. Yes, I'm in the minority, but I can't help wondering how it would feel to kneel and pray with my siblings in Christ for 15 minutes. Group silence, meditation, listening...sometimes sounds better than a 3 Musketeers bar and an ice cold glass of milk.

I appreciate Larry James and how he lives out the Word in Dallas. I learned last night he won't be coming and I'm bummed.

I appreciate John York and his deep understanding and ability to share it. I especially appreciate his bibliographies and willingness to keep me up to date with the latest in great reads. If not for him, I never would have discovered "Blue Like Jazz," "Father Joe," "Mere Discipleship," and others. He and Mike both suggested "Gilead" and that's near the top of my stack.

I appreciate Rubel Shelly, Jeff Walling, Randy Gill, Brian McLaren (whose "a Generous Or+hodoxy" I just started yesterday) and so many others who combine to allow ZOE to be even greater than the sum of its parts.

I appreciate Sandra Henderson for hooking up with these amazing people and bringing them here.

Please pray for the conference and for its future. I want to go on appreciating these folks for decades to come. I can't wait to share the blessings on Monday.

4 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Steve – That is too weird! I love a good 3 Musketeers bar and an ice cold glass of milk!

Ditto to all your comments concerning the “Zoe Folks.” Enjoy this time of renewal and may the Lord bless you, Sandra, the College Church, and the Zoe Conference.

We’ll miss you tomorrow.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm being stirred to jealousy as I read your post and think about what's going on here over the weekend. Sounds like you will have the better weekend.

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Have fun! And DO soak it up.

Hug the folks when you see them, please.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Keith Davis said...

Zoe Conference has done as much or more for my growth in Jesus than anything I've ever done.
I look forward year after year to this conference!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters