Thursday, January 05, 2006

Wonder, Hope, and Dreams

What a great title for a blogpost. There should be rainbows and butterflies. Maybe I'll go find some.




Okay, now this is just going to weird me out until I get past the pictures. Pretty though aren't they? Even Eeyore looks happy.




In one of the two daily reflection books I have started for this year, William Barclay has a lot to say about wonder. It is the topic of four of his first eight entries (I'm not reading ahead, he writes two per day, one for morning, one for evening). Barclay uses the freshness of a new year to help us remember what it is to wonder. He encourages us to stop and look at God's creation, listen to His still, small voice, and to realize anew his awesome majesty. Psalm 60:3 says, "Thou hast made us to drink the wine of astonishment." That may be a bit King Jamesy for you, but I much prefer it to the later translations that have it as a wine that makes us reel or stagger. I don't know the psalmist's intent, but I love the image of open-mouthed awe, absolute astonishment at God, His creation, and His working plan.

There is hope in a new year as well. My friend who is going through such trials right now recognizes that this is as good a time as any, maybe better, to start taking steps towards improving his life. He knows God's place in His life and even recognizes that sometimes God needs us humbled. I think of His Plan when I hear that line from Hoosiers: "I'm gonna break 'em down and I'm gonna build 'em back up again." There is hope even in being at the end of your rope. It can mean that it's time to find a new rope.

A dear friend and I chatted for over an hour last night and the result was that he kept some dreams of mine alive. Often, my dreams die all too easily. That isn't because of a lack of confidence, excitement, or faith. Rather, it's because I have such contentment with my life as it is that I often don't try to see what it could be. God has to drop these things in my lap and sometimes, like last night, He has to stoke the fire. My dear friend, if you are reading this, I want to thank you for hearing His voice and following His lead. You amaze me.

Butterflies and rainbows, folks. Butterflies and rainbows.

5 Comments:

At 5:45 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Funny that you mentioned the movie Hoosiers. My son watched it with us this past Saturday night for the first time. What kind of father have I been to withhold this wonderful movie from him?

I also loved the line Coach Dale says when “Shooter” (Dennis Hopper) has a relapse of drinking just after “Jimmy” has started playing with the team. As he is pulling Shooter’s head out of a sink of water, he tells him something to the effect of, “Nothing could take me away from this team. After what Jimmy did the other night and how the team is firing on all pistons, it would take the Indiana National Guard to drag me away.”

Isn’t that how it should be with our dreams especially our spiritual ones. But all of us are like Shooter at times. We have relapses and doubts. All of us need a Coach Dale in our lives dunking our heads in cold water to clear our minds of doubt.

Thank God for your good friend Steve. May we all enjoy the benefits of close friends.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to add something nice, positive and encouraging but I can't get past the pictures. I feel like I just stumbled in to a hallmark store.

I too love the imagery of open-mouthed awe. Keep the posts coming.

suszcbed (a bed belonging to susz c)

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Keith Davis said...

Steve, what great thoughts for me right now. With dad so sick, that's consumes my mind, and yet somehow, I have seen that even through pain God's presence is what I long for. Not for me only, but for my family and especially dad. He needs to know that God is with him. He needs to be able to understand the rainbow of healing or even death. For with Christians dying is a blessing. John the Revelator said, "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord...." How about that--a rainbow promise in the face of suffering.

I hope that all makes sense. I am just at awe at God and how He is bringing us through all this. My mouth is wide open at His majesty and comfort and love!!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I've got a sermon idea called: keep your dreams. throw out your illusion. What do you think?

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Brady, I like it. Come to Fresno and preach it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters