Wednesday, January 04, 2006

God's Dilemma (and Mine)

Because the district server was down and I have had precious little time to work from home, I haven't been able to visit Blogland for a while.

What does it say about me that I have more time to blog at work than at home?

Anyway, the server is back up today and there is a little break in the action here at school so I've been catching up a bit. Speaking of school, I'm fairly sure that the second semester is going to be better than the first. Most of the problem children have found new places to be and those who are left tend to be harder workers. Nicer too. It will be a busy few months, especially gearing up for the AP test, but I think I'll enjoy it more.

We held services Sunday at the same old 9:00 time and I was so impressed with the attendance. There were as many, if not more, there as usual. Even more impressive was the spirit they brought with them. Far from being placid and weary, the worship was strong. I expected the sermon to go over like a lead balloon (kind of like first period went yesterday) but they were very responsive, active listeners. It was cool.

We have decided to preach the gospel in January. Novel, I know. But this is a time when many are wishing to become better people and may be more receptive to the Spirit's urging. So we are sandwiching four lessons around the Zoe Conference that will deal with man's condition, God's dilemma, His answer, and our response to it. Sunday we talked about the natural lostness man finds himself in. This coming Sunday will be the duality of God's possible choices: justice or mercy...punishment or grace...wrath or love.

This will be the third straight week I have preached. I am also teaching a class on Yancey's "The Jesus I Never Knew." This week there will be a Steering Committee meeting right after class. Translation: I'm beat. Every quiet moment (including, unfortunately, those right before I want to sleep) is consumed with questions and preparation. How do I present the lesson most effectively? What of Jesus' culture is applicable to my class? Where is our church going? How do I preach about The Wrath of God without reverting to fire and brimstone? How do I memorize and differentiate the characteristics of the Essenes, Zealots, Sadducees, and Pharisees? Where is our church going? What do my own experiences as teacher and parent tell me about God's discipline? Were there really Jews that didn't poop on the Sabbath? Where is our church going???

I could do that for a while. I'm looking forward to some time off. I'm not sure how one takes a vacation from a non-paying job, but I'm going to find out. The problem, of course, is that I'm just as excited (moreso) about the next pulpit series coming up and I want a piece of it too. And my current Bible class is an open-ended one. To say nothing of the joy I get from the actual teaching. It's the preparation, the time and energy, that's wearing me out.

ZOE will be here in about two weeks. Please pray. Also, a friend of mine is at the end of his rope and his knot is loosening. Pray for him too please.

7 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed a tendency in you Señor Steve. A lot of stuff rattles around in that mathematically / ministerially gifted brain of yours. A few days without blogging makes it all crowded up there.

We worked through the Yancey series for a small group a few years ago. One of our members was Jewish and another member was agnostic. The series really opened up some great discussion. In the end they decided to join a church that was more inclusive towards women.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I'm going to sound preachy, I'm afraid, but understand the great love this comes from...

We get better by working very hard. Whether it's exercise, study, singing, parenting, whatever. Our spiritual muscle, our vocal muscle, our wisdom muscle, our physical muscle...they all get stronger by being pushed a little further than the time before.

So, my point is, you are better than you used to be. Don't complain about it. Embrace it and be so grateful God is "conditioning" you still. Because, you are stronger, wiser, and more compassionate than you were a year ago.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Nothing I can add to Sandra’s comments.
Praying for your friend and the West Coast Zoe Conference.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

What are big sisters for if not to tell you to stop complaining? I actually don't mean for that to be my tone...sorry if it is...I just meant to say I'm running a bit ragged.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I honestly can't tell you what they mean to me. You've become quite an important support group. I got a huge piece of encouragement tonight that I will write about soon.

Greg, "What's So Amazing..." was the second Yancey book I read and it was everything you said it was. Shortly after I read it, I wrote a note to Yancey's publisher to show my gratitude for his sharing of his spiritual journey. He quickly responded with a note of thanks and encouragement of his own. I so appreciate prominent Christians who don't "act" that way. Some of them, like Mike Cope, don't even know that they ARE.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Brady said...

You've definitely stumped me on the Jews not pooping on the sabbath. I don't think I've ever heard anything on that one.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Brady, it was a tradition among the Essenes. I should point out though that anywhere I've read about it, the word "poop" was not actually used. Scholars seem to prefer more scientific terms.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Reminds me of a news conference during the First Gulf War when General Schwarzkopf wanted to say a bad word about a reporter’s comment but instead used the phrase “bovine excrement.” Would that work here?
xsdnp (too much dnp) (x.s. dnp)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters