Monday, December 12, 2005

But It's So Obvious That I'm Right!

I was just reading a post about two churches in a disagreement about how to reach out to their community (http://dontcallmeveronica.blogspot.com/). It's sad, but it cracked me up anyway.

This is why churches divide, you know. This is why people leave churches. This is why the world looks at the church, pointing, and yelling, "Just like us! See? Just like us!" No exceptions. Every time. Bad things happen because everybody is just SO sure that they are right.

Love, understanding, patience, tolerance...unimportant these things are. (I can't help going all Yoda every now and then.) What is important is that you understand and acknowledge that I am right! It's the my-way-or-the-highway theology. We've been doing it for years. I'm convinced we always will to one exent or another.

As Dr. Phil says, "How's that workin' for you?"

The elders at the College Church are good men. But they struggle with this just like the rest of us. One of them is dead sure that we should hire a preacher. Another of them is dead sure that we shouldn't. Yet another is dead sure that we need to fix up our building before we even think of spending our money elsewhere. And the rest aren't any too sure about...well...lots of things. For the record, I respect each of these opinions. Utterly. What I do not respect is any accompanying eye-rolling, head-shaking, or vocal disapproval when others are sharing their opinions. What I do not respect is the attitude of "Why don't you just get it through your thick skull that I am RIGHT???"

There are two dangerous tendencies at work here and they have equal destructive capabilities. The first is the prideful tendency to not listen to anybody else. In so doing, we ignore the voice of the Spirit. We put our will above His because we are so sure we know what that will is. The second is the faithless tendency to do nothing. To say that we're not sure of anything so we're not going to do anything. The problem here is that we are saying that we are more powerful than God, that if we do the wrong thing, everything will fall apart. We ignore God's part in things and forget that His power to keep us off the wrong road is greater than our power to walk on it.

I'm willing to admit that I might be wrong. My tendency though, is to believe that I am right until proven wrong. Still, I hope that I never treat anyone in such a way as to make them think that their opinion is unimportant and could not possibly be right. And I hope that I never forget that there are only a very few things that really matter and upon which we must all agree.

7 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

It seems that elderships operate under one of the two models you mentioned – Decision by bullying or being bullied into indecision.

Rick Atchley and a preacher from (can’t remember his name) the Christian Church gave a great class at Pepperdine this past year on the likenesses and differences between our two movements. In this class they touched on elders. Rick asked the elders in the audience what was the one thing that they wished for at their home congregations. I found myself mouthing the word “peace” when Rick said it. Rick went on to say that wish has probably paralyzed more elderships in the Brotherhood. First of all “peace” at all times for all members is unrealistic and second, elderships wishing for “peace” can be held hostage by a small number of folks who threaten the peace.

His conclusion was very liberating for this “young” elder.

Just call me an elder full of efblpkhf.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Even though you're "old" in faith, you're "young" to the process of this particular Eldership. That's good...because it helps some who have been a part of this Eldership see things with different eyes, fresh eyes, however, it also keeps you impatient with them. (refer to the 'ole "choking" comment on my blog). They are making strides that I am pleased with. They are good, good men who are becoming good leaders.

Anyway, enough of the "defense of the Eldership". cwinwc, you were at Pepperdine? I was at Pepperdine...and, you were in Nashville this year? I was in Nashville...why have I not met you?

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Sandra - it seems that Randy and Greg are lacking in their social graces, or perhaps they're ashamed of their old buddy, or maybe we have met and didn't know it?

I went with Randy to an outdoor seafood place on the Friday of Pepperdine this past year. Could we have met there?

If not, maybe we'll meet at Pepperdine this year?
itoegjpk (State of not remembering past meetings)

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Larry said...

Checked out the Veronica link; WOW, what a mess! You are correct, it's sad, but has a funny twist to it.

Having the power to perfectly interpret God's Word, and knowing the opinions of everyone else is wrong, puts us right up there on the same level with God. :) I wonder how long it takes a person to reach such a lofty height!

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

See Sandra - I told you.
No fair Randy. Just because I engage in sohxvzzs shouldn't keep you from introducing me to Sandra.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Randy - You're dead on with the "good men" comment.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I think Greg was "wired" in that last comment.

But my "wired" friend brings up a good point. I have actually had (thankfully it's been a few years now) church members ask, "Aren't we the ones that have everything right?"
Makes me want to quote zlubxk to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters