Monday, November 28, 2005

The Prodigal Son

A little while ago, I finished Henri Nouwen's "The Return of the Prodigal Son" and intended to record some thoughts. Then a car crashed into my house and life went 90 degrees (that's right).

Does anybody aside from Cecil enjoy my math puns? No? Okay.

Anyway, I'll get to part one today but first an update. We are in the third week of living in a hollowed-out house. The kitchen is gutted and the front room contains a TV, couch, chair, and the kitchen table. The tile is nearly out and we walk mostly on concrete floors. There is plastic covering everything except what we need so much that we've ripped it off. There is a little box of food on the bay window and a partially-stocked fridge. Otherwise we eat out. The good news is, I've had some great restaurant food...particularly that blackened salmon covered in roasted garlic sauce. But the bad news is, it's inconvenient to have to go out for every meal and Lisa is already tired of it. The contractors should start working on the outer wall tomorrow and hopefully we'll be sealed up by the end of the week. It's cold. A functional kitchen is quite a ways off.

Thanksgiving break was nice and restful. We finally rented "Fever Pitch" and now I understand why everyone told me I needed to see it. A math teacher who is obsessed with baseball. Hmmm. It was good, but Jimmy Fallon really can't act. I mean really. We also saw "Harry Potter" and enjoyed it but it is getting harder to believe that those kids are 14. It's sort of like watching "Smallville" and trying to imagine Tom Welling in high school. Yeah, right.

In other news, my smart classroom was installed last week and I now have ceiling-mounted surround sound speakers, a 3000-lumen projector, a VCR/DVD player, and will soon be wirelessly connected to all of that with my PC tablet. As I type, my iPod is hooked up to it (Collective Soul, for those who care) and I'm happily cooking up lesson plans for Microsoft One Note. And since I'm sure somebody will ask, "Star Wars" looks great on it. Sounds good too.

That went on a bit. I'll post the first Nouwen reflection later. Glad everyone enjoyed a safe Thanksgiving. It's funny how safety has become important to Lisa and I. She remarked last night that some things just aren't as big a deal to her anymore. They may be again, but for now we are just grateful for God's protection and perspective.

3 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Math Bro – love the math puns. As we know, if said car would have crashed into your home at less than a 90 degree angle we would have been “acute-ly” aware of your pain. Of course, anything more than 90 degrees would have been grossly obtuse.

Eating out each night must be getting tiresome. Out of the 3 of us my son is the one who would much rather eat a home cooked meal than go out.

Envy alert, envy alert! I am jealous of your “smart classroom.” My school is definitely technology starved.

Hang in there and we’ll continue to pray for “prompt” sub-contractors and lots of patience for you and the family.
May your contractor's underarms be infested with a 1000 jzfkxo if they give you the "2 weeks" comment.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived with the Haggards for several months and got well acquainted with restaurants in Fresno - ah the good 'ol days.

So, when do you actually get around to teaching math with all that fancy shmancy tech stuff.

Have you figured out a way to connect your gnudzioi?

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Keith Davis said...

I love preaching for many reasons, but one of them is that I don't have to know math, well except for chapter 5 verse 4. My kids left me in math in the about the 4th grade.

mfuviy - "M" to the seventh power and squared of at the end. (See I told you)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters