Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Nothing I Own Was Hit By A Car Today

Yet.

Last night we got to sleep in our own beds. James and I were looooving it. I think Lisa was a little freaked out since the last moment we had spent in that bed was a loud one. My sainted mother has been taking care of us since then. Cooking for us, doing laundry, letting us sleep at her house...the truth is that she may have been enjoying it a little. As nice as it is to have someone take care of you, there is nothing like being in your own house. The front of the house is a huge mess: carpet is torn up where there is water damage, the refrigerator is against the back wall, most of the furniture is in the garage, there is still debris scattered along the broken counter tops, and...oh yeah...there is an enormous hole in the front wall covered (mostly) by plywood. But the back of the house is normal. Chilly, but normal.

Neither Lisa nor I like to camp. But that is very much what this experience is like. We keep forgetting that we don't have access to everyday things. Our neighbors brought us dinner the other night and I wanted to salt my rice. I actually got up to get the salt before I realized that it was a "kitchen thing." Yesterday another wonderful soul brought us some Boston Market food. As she brought it at 3:30, it needed to be heated up for dinner. No microwave. What a wake up call to realize how many things we take for granted. I suspect the paper plates and plastic utensils might get old within the next couple of months as well.

But we are blessed. There are so many people taking care of us and many more who have offered. The insurance company will probably front us some money soon so we can get by. I will take my poor car into the body shop sometime this week for estimates. And we'll have to sit down with an attorney soon and start that whole process. But we're back at home and that's a very good thing.

One last thing. Is it just me, or wasn't there a time when if somebody's child did something like this they would, at some point, have to march over to the scene of the crime and apologize? Wasn't there a time when people tried to make amends for this sort of thing? We haven't seen this kid since the police gave him back to his dad last Wednesday. We don't even know his name. It bugs me a little. I'm sure that if I had done something like this when I was a teenager, I would have been mowing somebody's lawn for a long time. A very long time. Like, I probably still would be mowing it. Just a thought.

3 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the troubles with utes today. They crash into your house and car without even sending an apology note. Why in my day . . .

cedcmxon (what you take if you are allergic to penicillin)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Randy, you sound like Dana Carvey as the grumpy old man on SNL. Used to bust me up, and I'm sure that's what I sound like.

"Why in MY day, we would have had to rebuild the house by ourselves. With no tools, using our hands to hammer in the nails until they were a big, bloody pile of gooooooo. And we LIKED it. We LOVED it!"

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I'm surprised the officers didn't insist the parents bring by their child to apologize. Perhaps they've consulted with an attorney of their own. Sounds like they're going to need one and well they should. They probably need more than that if their son was out and about at 3:30am! Hang in there my math brother.
qhxfri (chemical in brain that causes parents to allow their son to drive at 3:30am!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters