Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Teamwork

Pre-script: Remember to watch the space to the right for an exciting change in the "intentional walk" blog. I'm all ashiver.

Heh heh. I'm so lame.

Yesterday James' teacher pulled my wife aside when she went to pick him up. She's been pulled aside a couple of times recently to talk about some poor choices James was making in class and so she went with a little trepidation. But Teacher Maria wanted to tell her that James did an excellent job in class yesterday, and was even line-leader for the fire drill. Hey, that's a big deal when you're 4. I'm proud of that boy and proud of Lisa for how hard she works to bring him up right. I do what I can but let's be honest. Stay-at-home moms bear most of the load and should get most of the credit. Especially stay-at-home moms with 2 or 3 other jobs, some of them full-time.

At our Worship Committee meeting yesterday, it really hit me how well the group of six works together. The Spirit is so alive during those times. This series on Discipleship has been, in my opinion, one of the best we've had at College in a long time. And I think it's because we have been willing to be open-minded in planning worship times and willing to put our egos aside and take suggestions from others. The things from past weeks that stand out the most are ideas that developed after being tossed back and forth in our meetings. When I spoke on prayer, it was Doug who suggested we gather around our elders and pray for them. When I spoke on study, it was Sandra who suggested we have a homework assignment to be turned in by e-mail. None of these things would have happened if we didn't work as a team and allow the Spirit to lead us.

I'm just old enough to have loved the Hope/Crosby road movies. It's funny that I think of them when I think of good teams, but I do. They sang, "It's you for me and me for you, we'll muddle through whatever we do...together...wherever...we goooooooooooooo...." Love that. They also sang, "...because without teeeeeamwork, there's no teeeeeeeeammmmm." Of course, they also rode on camels and played patty-cake so....

We've come a long way from the songleader picking songs and the preacher writing his sermon and one of the two choosing people to lead prayers and communion. I love gathering to worship, feeling the presence of God among us, and knowing that we are all one. I'm grateful for this team that has allowed me to come alongside and be part of the planning.

A final note. Randy referenced this in his post today, but I want to repeat it. Please be in prayer for the family and the church of Kyle Lake, the former pastor of the University Baptist Church in Waco, Texas. You can read more about him in the Vintage Faith blog, linked at the right. Sometimes we are bewildered but, from the little I know of Kyle, he understood the supremity of the will of God.

2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I can actually HEAR you sing those Hope/Crosby songs in my head! Of course, I can also SEE you dancing the "Pee-Wee-Herman" dance on the table at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor...

very scary!

By the way, it's good to have you on the "team".

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

One of the benefits of blogging with you blones is gaining new ideas from your experiences. The idea about prayer and the elders, the emailed homework, and Randy’s “Coat” idea are ones that I want to try in the future.

On the worried parent front, let me share something that happened to me last year. In the middle of class my cell phone rings and I can tell it's my son calling. Last year (9th grade) a phone call from him usually meant practice was cancelled or he had forgotten something for practice.

When I answered the phone it was the Principal of Cocoa High. You talk about instant heart attack - my mind raced with all of the possible bad things that could have prompted this phone call. She quickly assured me that Steven was O.K. and not in trouble. She was calling to see if he could represent the High School at a "mentoring conference" in New York City.
Isn't it funny when a teacher/administrator asks to talk to us about our child we immediately go into the worry mode.
iainjdk (ancient southern Hebrew for "I ain't joking."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters