Thursday, November 03, 2005

Books

There it is! The change is at the right. Everything is different now.

Not too long ago I listed the books in my stack at home, the ones waiting to be read. I got to many of them this summer and am still working my way through. Of course, the stack grows faster than it shrinks, but that's a good thing. In our lesson on study Sunday, I listed some books and authors that I thought people might want to try out. I tried to list a spectrum of genres and levels. My feeling is that there are book-people and non-book-people, but that there are plenty of non-book-people who just haven't found the right books.

I mentioned the Bible first. I thought that was wise. Then I mentioned some devotional books. I love "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. Next year I'm going to go through "Bread For The Journey" by Henri Nouwen. I also have "Streams in the Desert" and others. Devotional books all seem to have those kind of names. But they are wonderful tools for setting our minds on things above.

Then I went over some classics. "Mere Christianity" by Lewis for instance. And new classics such as "Blue Like Jazz". I mentioned authors like McLaren and Yancey.

I didn't spend much time on commentaries but I did list William Barclay. His New Testament studies can be read like daily devotionals; they are certainly broken up into bite-size pieces. Whenever I am studying a section from the NT, I go to Barclay first.

Time for others to weigh in. What are you reading now? What have you read lately that touched you? Which commentaries are musts? Which authors do you never miss when they write something new? What do you suggest to others and why?

I am currently reading "The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Nouwen. I imagine a three-part blog series is imminent.

I'll be away at a retreat this weekend. I'm leaving after school today and coming home Sunday. Please keep us in your prayers while we are there. I look forward to catching up on lives and comments during the Monday morning blogging.

In the meantime, I'm sure that some people are still wondering what the huge change was. Look closer. I'm sure you'll notice it eventually. (As Bugs would say, Greg: Ain't I a stinkah?)

5 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

May God bless you on the retreat this weekend.
Your post has inspired me to get back in the reading ball game. I haven't read that much for several months. I need to make the time.
See you on Monday.
ieotin (Hormone stimulated by reading)

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I won't spoil it for the others...but you know what I'm thinking today.

I have a stack of books I won't get to much until after ZOE . February looks like a great month to read for me!

Have a blessed weekend and an exceptionally wonderful day.

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add Peterson and McGuiggan to the list.

Nouwen is good stuff. Looking forward to hearing your comments.

oh, and you've decided to muse about Bible things first and then baseball things second.

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Steve. I love you!

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Brady said...

41 was a tough year for me too.

Randy added two of the authors I never miss. yehbno

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters