Monday, November 21, 2005

Sheep

The 40 days of prayer for our elders ends Friday. I have the sense that some are worried that no huge revelations are coming. A) that's not necessarily true and B) it's not the point anyway. The fact that we have united in prayer is what really matters. Maybe the guys will all get together (as they did yesterday) and something amazing will happen. Maybe not. But to see the church gathered around them, praying for them, is to know that things will never be the same. At least two of our elders have told me recently that they didn't know...really know...how much people cared. And now they do.

We talked about sheep and shepherds yesterday and it got me thinking about the analogy. Yes, we understand the concept today, but if Jesus were teaching on earth in 2005 I wonder if he still would have used it. In Jerusalem, 2000 years ago, it was the best description possible of both the eldership and the role of the Great Shepherd. But what would it be today and what would it be in the US? What is our equivalent of the relationship between sheep and shepherd?

We live in a culture that eschews the idea of subservience. We don't need anything or anyone and we certainly don't want to be led around or herded. Everything I think is right from my own perspective and everything you think is right from yours. We live in the cradle of post-modernity and are by far the poorer for it. How can I possibly put myself in a right relationship with God when I am Lord and Master of all I survey? How can I possibly understand what it even means to be a sheep, much less the potential joy of it? Who needs a shepherd (or a Shepherd) when they never get lost?

4 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I see the work of seeing eye dog I marvel at the skill of the dog and the trust of the person.

"The Lord is my seeing-eye-God, I will not be in want . . ."

qfrni (delectable cheese spread which goes best with rye qwrackers)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

You bring up some interesting points. The effects of post-modernity on our society probably fostered some of the feelings of fear and inadequacy I experienced when I was nominated to be an elder of our church. How could I shepherd/lead a group of folks who like me, have been inundated with the message of self-reliance. It has definitely been a work in progress for sure.

As for the modern day job for a model of shepherding, this may be a stretch but I’m going to propose the “full-time” Sgt. Major of a local National Guard unit as in my friend Ray. Most of Ray’s troops are part timers who come in one weekend a month and 2 weeks out of the summer. Ray has a phrase he uses to describe the transition he is charged with effecting in full time civilians into potential full time soldiers. He says his task is to get his men to start “turning green” when they arrive at the Armory. Ray says this is a challenge due to the difference in commitment level, knowledge, and passion for the job with his part time troops vs. his full time status.

Do we see a similar challenge for those of us that our elders, ministers, deacons, and ministry leaders? Those of us in these positions must feel like Ray, a “full-timer” in the Lord trying to get our “troops” to in this case, to turn “red” as in the blood of Jesus. Just a thought.
lpkryff (unknown middle name of Superman)

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Brady said...

We have cross-walk guards here in Lausanne. They often jump out in front of traffic to protect their sheep, each little guy who needs to get home after a tough morning at show and tell. Anyway, I see thes cross-walk guards as 21 century shepherds.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Math Bro -
I spoke to Greg last night and my family is coming out for Josh's wedding around July 9th. Is there a good place between Fresno and Long Beach we (Greg and I) could hook up?
I would prefer a place without atiuzakb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters