Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Votes Are In!

I think we could all use a break from talking about my house. So let's talk baseball!

I stumble through November like a drunk coming off a 6-month binge. I stare bleakly into a future that promises nothing but the occasional award and free-agent signing. I fight off the odd facial tic, my hands shake, and I lunge with hope towards every trade rumor. In March, I'm Shoeless Joe Jackson walking out of the cornfield to feel the cool of the grass. In November, I'm Pete Rose, desperate and alone.

Ain't I just full of the similes and metaphors today? Baseball brings that out in me.

Herewith, my terse thoughts and reactions to the crumbs that have fallen from the baseball table this month, otherwise known as the post-season awards.

AL Rookie of the Year: Huston Street
Excellent choice. I could have lived with Cano of the Yankees, but Street's the better choice. I hate the A's even more than the Evil Empire but I can't deny how good these two guys are. Street was a little better and closing out games at the age of 21 gives him the edge.

NL ROY: Ryan Howard
A big, dumb slugger who strikes out a lot. Jeff Francoeur may have been a better choice here, but sportswriters like big, dumb sluggers.

AL Cy Young: Bartolo Colon
Big Bart! It's nice for the Angels to have back-to-back years getting the big awards. Last year, Big Daddy Vladi won the MVP. I'll let you in on a secret though: I would have voted for Mariano Rivera. His ERA was sick. I'll take Colon though.

NL CY: Chris Carpenter
A slam dunk. A no-brainer. So why was it so close?

AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez
Another slam dunk. Another close call. I love David Ortiz, but he's a big, dumb slugger. And a DH. A-Rod's numbers were right there and he plays 3rd with a glove of gold. Easy choice.

NL MVP: Albert Pujols
There's nothing not to love about Pujols. He's one of the best hitters I've ever seen. I really thought Andruw Jones (who I hate with the white hot passion of a thousand suns, but only because he's a total hot dog) would win out, he of the 50 home runs. But sportswriters like Pujols better, even though Jones is a terrific outfielder and Pujols is a mediocre infielder. But his average was so much higher that he deserved the MVP.

In other words, they got almost everything right this year. Amazing!

And that's it. A quick fix for my baseball jones. Now if the Angels would get busy and sign Konerko, I'll have something else to satisfy it for a while.

4 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

The two that are the most amazing are Pujols and A-Rod.
Pujols- can he be as nice as he seems, as young as he is, and continue the steady consistent pace with his offensive numbers.

A-Rod - A gold glover/All Star at Short comes to the Evil Empire and duplicates his efforts at 3rd. As we say in the south, "Now that's a stud."

Baseball been very good to Chico.
fravvuk (act of sliding in Saturday Night Live lines in blog)

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony Kornheiser (Washington Post columnist, Radio Show, PTI) has been lobbying for Pujols to be the next supreme court justice.

utffsz (the bubbly stuff that surfaces as you pour that ice-cold into a glass)

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

I, um, don't follow baseball, except when I'm at a game and even then I'm usually absorbed in my Dodger Dog or one of those Carnation frozen malt thingies.

Can we still be friends?

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Keith Davis said...

Have to chime in here. I too am a huge baseball fan. I love the pro game and am a Braves fan in spite of their sheer chokability every year in the playoffs. I think Andruw jones deserved the MVP award for the NL. I like Pujols, but think that Andruw was much more valuable to his team. And to whine a bit, the braves are never given the respect they deserve. There, I feel better now.

The absolute best baseball player around, however, is my 13 year old son Brandon. I have my reasons and yes I am somewhat biased, (no a lot biased), but I love to watch that boy play baseball. I can't wait till January for the try outs for the middle school team. Pray that he makes it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters