Thursday, January 12, 2006

Star Trek Sermons

Indulge me.

The congregation heaves a sigh of relief as they realize that the sermon is over and there hasn't been a single reference to Star Wars, Star Trek, or superheroes. It's rare and they appreciate it.

The truth is that I would use my pop culture lexicon every time if I didn't think it would ALIENate my audience. But I try very hard to restrain myself. Why, just recently I preached on three consecutive Sundays with only a short video clip of "Lost In Space" to show for it. And that was unavoidable as I was preaching about the lostness of mankind.

So, since we have all established that our blogs are our own personal territory, I am now going to execute my inALIENable right to synopsize some possible Star Trek sermons. I would advise the vast majority of you to quit reading.............now.

This, of course, is only a partial list. I don't have all day. And it will only be from The Original Series. I love Next Gen, of course, but I cut my teeth on Captain Kirk.


In "The Naked Time," the intrepid crew of the starship Enterprise (NCC-1701...hey, I told you to stop reading) brings back a virus from an away mission. Soon they engage in all sorts of whacky (whacky whacky whacky) behavior and almost crash. In my sermon, "The Naked Church (title subject to change as not to offend that nice old lady who sits in the eighth pew, middle)," we learn how the greatest danger to the church is from within. Satan acts as a virus among us, turning us against each other with gossip, resentment, and envy. He is defeated with awareness, humility, love, and much prayer.

We first meet the evil, power-hungry Khan Noonian Singh (and if he's indian why does he look like Ricardo Montalban?) in "Space Seed." Awakened from deep space hibernation, Khan and his followers us their genetically enhanced minds to take over the Enterprise and try to kill Kirk and Co. My lesson ("Space Church"? "Spacy Church?") revolves around those traditions which lie sleeping for years on end until one day they arise unbidden and attempt to strangle our maturity and spiritual growth. By revisiting the Bible through fresh eyes and applying it to the 21st century, we take those outgrown outgrowths of superfluous religiosity (can I turn a phrase or what?) and dump them on Ceti Alpha VI where the only company they will have is those squirmy little bugs you stick in peoples' ears. Ugh.

I should only have to say "Edith Keeler" for you to recognize the greatest episode of them all. In "Church On the Edge of Forever," we examine the future of Jesus' bride and how she can only be what He wants her to be when we stay out of His way and allow His plan to unfold in the proper way, in the proper...time. (This was a bad idea. I'm starting to really want to preach this stuff now.)

We all remember "Amok Time" as the episode when Spock goes through Pon Farr and experiences the Vulcan need to...well...you know. This hits Vulcan males every seven years as opposed to human males which it hits 8 or 9 times a day. In his blind lust, Spock "kills" Kirk and then comes to his senses. We see one of the few hints of emotion when he sees the captain alive back on the Enterprise and yells, "Jim!" (Cue strings, shed tear.) "Amok Church" will be an uncomfortable lesson on sexuality and how it affects individuals, couples, and ultimately the church itself. I'll ask Mom not to come that Sunday.

Maybe this is a Wednesday night series. We show the episode, then have a lesson, followed by discussion and then tribble-shaped pastries. It must be kismet; my iPod just started playing the theme from "First Contact," I kid you not.

Raise your hands. Who's coming?

7 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you but you are SUCH A NERD!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Lisa -
I love him too and my hand is raised!! In fact, my right hand is raised and positioned in the Vulcan greeting.

(In my best Capt. Kirk / Jim Carey voice) "It's stardate 24.14.2 - We're here on the planet ldzweu to hear Steve's latest Star Trek sermon. And I'm going to hear it! Do you hear me Mister!!"

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Sorry, I'll miss this series, and the one on 25 hours.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Keith Davis said...

I love it!! I have been a bigger Star Wars fan and collector than a Trek fan, but I still love it. Hey what would you preach on from "The Trouble With Tribbles?" Or you could make up a new character and call him/her nvopqz.

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

I'd come but I would have to fly to Fresno so that might not happen. At any rate, I see the application and I think it is great. Keep on "Trekin'" LOL.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I believed we’ve all been assimilated. ndnqd is futile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters