Monday, January 09, 2006

106

My one-year blogging anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks. In all of those posts, I have never received so many negative comments and such vociferous rejection as I did for my last entry. It seems that some people had a problem with the butterfly picture.

Sorry.

I told this story in my sermon yesterday. I repeat it here for those of you fortunate enough not to have stay awake and pay attention to me on Sunday mornings. Actually, there was a fella about six pews back who read his bulletin the entire time I was speaking so "paying attention" isn't really a hard-and-fast rule.

My son, James, likes to express his love in numbers. Truly a math prodigy. At some point, he decided that the largest number was 106. So when he's feeling pretty good about you, he'll say, "I love you a hundred and six." It's really sweet.

A couple of months ago, I had to discipline him for something or other. Afterwards I sat down next to him and put my arm around him. I asked him if he understood what he did wrong and he said yes. Then I reminded him that I still loved him. He said, "I love you too, Daddy." I smiled and asked, "How much?" He said, "I love you three."

Given the situation, that actually wasn't too bad.

Last week, he told Lisa that he loved her. Lisa said, "I love you too." James said, "That's not very much."

"No, no, I love you also," Lisa explained. James tried to tell her that he loved her more, but Lisa wasn't having any of it. She told him a truth that only parents can understand. "You couldn't possibly love me more than I love you."

I love God a hundred and six. But He loves me numbers that I've never even heard of before. His love is staggering. It's overwhelming. It's eternal and unconditional. I don't understand it and I often can't accept it. None of that makes it any less real. He is the perfect Parent and we are His creation. We can't possibly love Him more than He loves us.

4 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Your sermon yesterday was solid...very good. You've done a wonderful job recently contrary to what you might believe the bulletin reader to be saying.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

A "3!"
Must have been a major deal to James. I busted out laughing in the middle of class when I read the "3" comment.

Speaking of 106 how about "E-R-S-T-U-V." This was the combination of letters that my son came up with when we were potty-training him. For some reason when he had to go #2 he would say, "Dad, I have to go E-R-S-T-U-V." Hince in our family the phrase became the word "erstuv."

Great point about a child not being able to understand the depth of a parent's love. As much as I love God it gives me great comfort to know that His love for me is beyond my understanding. I need that depth of love when I'm messing things up.

By the way, the "bulletin reading guy" should be in deep "erstuv!"

devyz (Used to clean up erstuv)

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to let us know when when the number gets larger than 106.

I was talking to my dad one time about the feelings associated with someone taking notes while I was preaching. From experience he said, "just wait until someone defiantly stops taking notes in the middle of your sermon."

Been there! I've also had the joy of watching people get up and walk out during a message.

Steve, if they're not leavin' your not preachin'! I still love you 106.99999999999999999999999

bozjrk (person who reads bulletin during a Thurman8er message)

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Hey, would you please tell that story again? I was busy reading Greg's blog…

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters