Monday, January 23, 2006

Family Reunion

Highlights from the 2006 West Coast ZOE Conference

Seeing old friends who have become family was the greatest part of the weekend. Eric and David and Brandon and Paul and Teresa and John...so many others. It's odd (though not in a Christian context I suppose) that I've seen these folks for a grand total of 12 days or so in my life, yet they are my brothers and sisters. David (England) and I were talking yesterday about the day when we aren't flying for hours to see each other, but walking down the golden street. And praising every hour of every day the way we did for these past few days together. Glorious.

Leonard Sweet's talk on Friday was mind-blowing. I sat paralyzed in my seat for about five minutes after he was done. I couldn't move and didn't want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to process. I think his points about living in "The Perfect Storm" will shape how I approach ministry for some time.

Seeing and hearing Mike Cope talk about Chris and the accident was so moving. It was the reason we didn't get to see him last year and he spoke so well on how we are to serve each other, just as those angels held his boy and others. And, of course, the CD commercial put me on the floor. He left a copy and gave me permission to recycle it during future sermons. It's going to become like one of those SNL commercials that you see every five or six shows. Mike Cope is the new Bass-O-Matic. Saturday's message was just as good as he recognized teachers, commissioned us and, yes, showed a Star Wars clip. Heaven.

My College Church family always feeds the ZOE folks so well and I always mooch off the meals. I call it my preacher pay for the year. They are so appreciative too. Leonard Sweet said that if steak was a religion, then College would be a cathedral and Lee Smith would be pope.

Leonard was good at recognizing people's work. On Saturday, he was talking about Starbucks and mentioned that his morning drink was a "Black Eye." Then he mentioned that Lisa would know that, referring to the fact that my lovely wife was the one who brought said drink to his hotel room that morning. He sort of stopped there for a second and said, "Man, she's wonderful." She is, by the way. She worked harder than anyone this weekend. But it was so appreciated. Mike Cope and I agreed to devote a week of blogging to her sometime soon.

John York's sessions were predictably great. Leonard stayed with him during the second session for Q & A. John gave me some fantastic sermon ideas and a whole new way to read the Bible. I plan to use his method of prayer, reflection, and perspective in my personal study and in some lessons soon. In a nutshell, we prayed, then read a passage with an eye towards what it was saying to us personally...had quiet time...read again thinking about what it said for our church...more quiet time...then one last reading as we reflected on the meaning for our mission to the world. After the final bit of quiet time, we shared a bit. Not only was the text different at each reading, but it was different for all of those present. I suspect it will be different the next time I read it as well.

This post wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention that I was recruited to sign, yes sign, with Paul and Teresa on Saturday morning. It was only two signs ("God is love" over and over) but I was terrified. I'm not exaggerating. Ask Sandra how wide my eyes were. I didn't sleep the night before but I gutted it out. Isn't it funny what scares us? Give me a crowd of a few thousand and I'd love to speak. Put me in front of a few hundred and ask me to do two simple hand motions...I tremble.

Jeff Walling's Matthew was extraordinary. He could go on the road with it. I'm not surprised that the message was good--his usually are--but his delivery was amazing.

Worship yesterday was the perfect capper. My church family and my ZOE family were there in one place praising together. Everything came together perfectly and God was glorified.

There were so many other great moments: meeting Owen and Adam and Jackie; conversations and hugs; enlightening messages; all that standard ZOE stuff that we take for granted like, y'know, singing. I'll be processing for days. But my prayer, and I hope yours, is that His will is done and his message gets out through the excitement and the Spirit that is shared in times like this. I'll post more things as they come to mind and I'm anxious to compare notes with those of you who went to Nashville.

It's wonderful to be reminded how great our God is. How mighty and how loving. And that He takes great delight in us.


4 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you and the weekend of nourishment you experienced.

I loved that CD but now understand how you rank in the order of things. You have a copy and I do not. Please, please, please, I beg you send me a copy of the CD. I shall send you Pepsi in exchange!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Randy, you misunderstand my level of importance. Be it known that LEX has the copy, not I. All I have is permission to show it.

I think we still might be able to swing something though. Mike's a very understanding guy.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Greg, I think you hit the nail on the head. I want to go to Nashville for the big experience, but we were able to talk and think together this weekend.

I'll see if I can't finnagle you a copy too. Lex is a great guy.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Man, I wish I could have been there to "party" in the Spirit! Here are the similarities between Fresno and Nashville:

1.Seeing "old" friends - That would be Greg and Randy.

2. Leonard Sweet and Larry James were very "attacking" in the posture on the first day. Their mood lightened as the conference went on.

3. I would love to have a copy of Mike Cope's "commerical." It was hilarious. His "duet" with Randy Harris was classic "Bass-o-matic."

4. The girl who did most of the signing in Nashville was outstanding. On one song she received a standing ovation. I've never seen anyone that expressive.

5. Jeff Walling's Matthew/mess was outstanding. It was flawless.

6. Glad you were blessed. I wish I could have been there for Sandra's class.

7. Any chance your favorite math bro could come into a copy of Lex's C.D.?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters