Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Case of the Cursed Car

Who read Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew when they were a kid? Raise your hands.

I intentionally didn't say "Hardy Boys and/or Nancy Drew" because nobody read both. Boys read one and girls read the other and that's all there was to it. I loved the Hardy Boys. Even more, I loved the Three Investigators. Remember them? Great stuff.

They always had the best titles. I liked "The Secret Window" the best. Everything was a "Curse" or a "Mystery" or a "Secret."

My life is beginning to resemble a suspense novel.

Recap: In June, my car is stolen and left on the railroad tracks. Everything inside is stolen. In November, it is hit while parked on the street in front of the house. The car which hits it parks in my kitchen. Two days later, it is hit again by another teenager in another Toyota.

Yesterday: The grout was put in for the counter tile. Sadly, it was bad grout, spotty and such. And so it was all removed. All the carpet was stripped up and the remaining furniture was moved to the garage and bedroom. You haven't lived until you've pulled up to your house and seen all your stereo equipment dragging its wires along the garage cement and then walked into your bedroom to be greeted by your big-screen TV. For the record: no refrigerator + no table = no breakfast. The doughnut shop's going to love me this week.

I did, however, "pull up" to the house in my own car. The body shop finished repairing the front end yesterday and it looked great. The paint job was perfect.

Sadly (there's that word again), my car was broken into a couple of hours later at Best Buy while I was exchanging some bad DVD's. My stereo was stolen...again. My sunglasses were stolen...again. Worst of all, my leather jacket was taken. It was old but just, y'know, comfortable. It was one of those jackets.

It's still all just stuff and pretty easy to keep in perspective. I was glad that I had taken my wallet and cell phone into the store with me and that I had taken the golf clubs out of the trunk just a few days ago. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being pretty tired of the whole thing. The car does seem fairly cursed even though it served me so well for 12 years. My first instinct is to get rid of it and buy something new right now, but I'm going to wait until I have a garage to park it in.

Lisa's tired of it too and having to deal with far more of it than me. Keep us in your prayers. Ask God, if you don't mind, to keep Satan's minions away from my wheels for a while.

He's our fortress and our deliverer. He's our strength and our song.

4 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Have you thought about torching the car to get it over with? I find the timing of the latest events in your life interesting and not too surprising in some ways.

Think about it:

You declared a “Positive Blog Day.” Some teens positively drove through your house.

You’re coming off a “Zoe high.” Some one breaks into your freshly repaired car.

I remember Joe Beam giving his “Seeing the Unseen Class” at Pepperdine. The night before the sound system was working fine. As soon as he got up to give his first morning class, the sound system started cracking and hissing. Joe said this happened in almost every place that he gave that lecture.

So even though I was trying to be a little funny the fact that Satan is on the attack I take very seriously!

May God put a hedge around you, Lisa, James, your home, and all of your vehicles.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Nancy Drew -- man she was hot!

Maybe God is trying to tell you something about the car?

Perhaps these words from Isaiah (a more modern translation) will soften your heart to hear the voice of God.

Isaiah 31:1 (from the RDW) Woe to those who go down to Best Buy for help, And rely on contractors, And trust in Toyotas because they are many, And in golf clubs because they are very strong, But they do not look to the Holy One nor seek the LORD!

Can you hear the Lord? He's saying Buy American! Buy American! Help save Ford!

hkzayei (the curse upon Steve's foreign import)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Laymond said...

bad things happen to good people

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy--You're KILLING me with that Ford comment! I'm glad I can type with my eyes closed because I'm laughing so hard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters