Monday, February 20, 2006

Saturday, February 18, 2006


12:05 AM - I begin my winning streak. I was able to host the poker game at my house for the first time since October. (Do you paid preachers have to hide your poker games or is it okay these days?) I was down around $30 and hit a couple of nice pots. Filled an up-and-down straight draw on the river, for those of you who are poker-lingo savvy. I finish the game up $22. Woo hoo!

12:45 AM - I say goodbye to the guys while taking care of James who was complaining of a tummyache. Put James back to bed and check to be sure that Lisa is sleeping. After confirmation, I go about hiding her birthday presents in the Durango so I can fetch them during her surprise party that night.

1:25 AM - Check on James again and go to bed.

1:28 AM - James throws up all over his bed. And his pillow. And his carpet. And assorted toys. We launch into parental-vomit-mode. Lisa takes care of the boy while I clean up. Would somebody please remind me to pick up one of those airtight suits the CDC uses sometime?

3:10 AM - After many more trips to the toilet, an entire wash cycle, and a couple of different sleeping permutations (starting with James and I cuddled together on my side of our bed and ending with Lisa and James cuddled together in his bed) I finally fall asleep.

7:05 AM, 8:12 AM, 9:53 AM - Oh yeah, James has the flu.

10:30 AM - I had an appointment to keep at 11:00, but hated to leave Lisa alone with a sick kid, especially when we were all planning to go together. She gives me a smile that assures me it's okay, so I go.

11:10 AM until 3:00 PM - Buy my car.

3:30 PM - James is better but not well. The surprise party almost gets blown. Lisa's mom was going to come by and get James so that we could go out for a quiet dinner. Then, when we went to pick him up, Lisa would get her surprise. Kink: James doesn't want to go. He wants us to take him over ourselves. I know this won't work -- Lisa would see the party decorations when we went inside the house -- Lisa's mom knows this won't work. The only person who doesn't know is Lisa. I insist that James go and Lisa gives me the look. I almost cave. But she gives in at the last second and lets him go. He cries the whole way. We feel terrible. I know how I look to her and hate it. But, hey, a surprise is a surprise. P.S. James was fine as soon as his Grammie explained about the party, something I couldn't do with a 4-year-old blabbermouth. Lisa forgave me later too.

4:10 PM - I remember that Lisa wants to take the Mustang but her presents are in the Durango. Yikes. I perform the switcheroo while she showers.

5:30 PM - We arrive at Yoshino Japanese Restaurant.

5:45 PM - We are seated.

6:05 PM - No food has arrived yet and I start to worry about the 30-some-odd people who are arriving at Lisa's mom's house at 6:30.

6:20 PM - Fried rice, shrimp, mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and filet mignon taste good.

7:22 PM - SURPRISE!!!

10:30 PM - We get back home, tuck James into bed, bring in armfuls of presents and balloons and extra food. Lisa's mom is amazing. She planned a beautiful party. All I had to do was get her there and I almost blew that. Twice. I think Lisa was surprised, if not she faked it pretty well. Her actual birthday is today, the 20th. I'm finally married to a thirtysomething.

11:35 PM (or so) - Bed. Sleep. Long day. Good day. Good night.

4 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight . . . It's her birthday and you buy a brand new mustang for yourself?

You rock!

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I got was a lousy iPod...

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Sounds like you and Randy Harris are on the same table, I mean wavelength. He mentioned about the students at ACU getting into the Texas Hold'em craze. He decided to learn the game and to play with the students as an avenue to get into their lives.

What do you think, can we have a poker night at the church?

I sure hope James is feeling better. Upchucking kiddos have never bothered me. I've cleaned that kind of mess up on more than one occasion.

Happy b-day to Lisa. I want to drive your car.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Randy: that's funny, that's just what the guy who sold it to me said.

Greg: It's MY car. Mine mine mine. Actually, she drove it yesterday and I think she had a good time. I wouldn't know, I couldn't keep up.

Judy: I agree. I can't imagine my church turning down the million I'm going to give them when I win 10 million some day. Oh, wait...you have to buy a ticket to win. Nevermind. I'll stick to buddy poker night.

Cecil: Believe it or not, my class at church has a weekly game. I don't play in it often because it's on Tuesday nights and I can't stay up that late. But there have been some guys who come to that who WON'T come to church, at least not yet. I love that they are immersed in that kind of atmosphere. It's funny...when I was in college, I got called out for playing poker. Now one of my elders plays. We may get excommunicated, but we're gonna know how to play when we get to heaven. I'll bet Elijah can run one stone-cold bluff.

And you are all welcome to drive the car. But you have to come to Fresno to pick up the keys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters