Friday, March 03, 2006

Was That Over the Line?

My wit can be fairly caustic at times. When you work with teenagers every day, you find that the easiest way to make them laugh is often to tease mercilessly. I get to know them well enough that I know how far I can take it. Usually. But I am the first to admit that I will flirt with that line for the sake of a good laugh. Once or twice I'm sure I've crossed it. The crossing of the line is accompanied by an uncomfortable physical response. The mind races and replays the entire conversation. The pulse quickens and the palms begin an immediate, exaggerated perspiration. Eyes dart to catch facial expressions and lips move in an imperceptible prayer that people are laughing and not staring, aghast.

I have a foreign exchange student in my Calculus class named Tomasso. Great kid. Yesterday he came to class at the usual time, 12:15 PM. It went like this:

Me: Hey, Tomasso. How do you say "good afternoon" in Italian?

Tomasso: "Buon pomeriggio."

Me: Okay, thanks. Buon pomeriggio, Tomasso.

T: But we don't say that.

Me: Huh?

T: We don't say "buon pomeriggio."

Me: Oh. What do you say?

T: We would say "buon giorno."

Me: But that's "good morning."

T: Right.

Me: But it's not morning.

T: Yeah, but that's what we would say.

Me: Well, how long would you say "good morning?"

T: Until about 3:00.

Me: Then what would you say?

T: "Buona sera."

Me: But that's "good evening."

T: Right!

Me: But 3:00 isn't evening.

T: No, but that's what we would say.

Me: I think I know why you lost the war. You guys have no idea what time of day it is.

T: (laughs)

Me: Maybe if you knew what time of day it was you could plan, like, war strategies and stuff.

T: (keeps laughing)

Me: I'll bet if Mussolini had known what time of day it was he wouldn't have thought Hitler had such great ideas.

And here is where the mental switch was thrown. Pulse quickening, palms sweating, eyes darting...I dare a glance at Tomasso who is

T: (falling out of his chair, laughing) My parents have to meet you.

Me: (gulp) Why?

T: They would love you. They'll be here in a week. I'm going to bring them to class.

Yeah, so I dodged a bullet on that one. I know I've complained a lot this year to everyone who knows me about many of the kids in my classes. I want to go on the record as saying I have met some truly awesome people this year also. Sadly, as always, the great kids get overshadowed by the ones who demand all of your time. Today, I'm thankful for Tomasso and Frankie and KCee and Robert and Alyssa and all the others who have made this year bearable.

A final bit of dialogue from the end of class:

Me: Okay, the bell's about to ring. Tomasso, how do you say "goodbye" in Italian?

T: "Arrivederci."

Me: Oh. Yeah.

4 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

you are a treasure.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Math Bro – For a second there I thought you were going to say Tomasso’s family was related to “il Duce’.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, I usually have those cross the line moments -- the problem is I'm usually right in the middle of my sermon.

You'd better find out how "connected" the family is before they pay a visit.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Funny, but the reason people say Mussolini stayed in power was because he could make the trains run on time.

Ciao.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters