Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Long Distance


Once I finally got to the right SonicBurger, I only had about 15 minutes to spend with an old friend. But it was the best 15 minutes of the day. After all, I'd forgotten what a handsome devil he is.

I've been thinking a little about how technology has eliminated distance. My niece is deciding where to go to college, meaning that she is deciding where to spend the next 4 years or so of her life. And while she would like to stay close to home, the truth is that her cell phone and her computer will keep her in close touch with everyone she loves. We are all just an e-mail, a phone call, or a text message away. Of course, it's not the same as being there, but it's a far cry better than the only option that existed when I was her age, the long-distance phone call.

Blogging has allowed me to renew friendships, and create friendships, with people who are on the other side of the country, even on different continents. But it occurs to me that we have an additional method of eliminating long distances. When I pray, it reminds me that I am in the presence of God at all times. He is there. He is listening. What I often forget is that when I pray for you and when you pray for me, we are tied closer to each other than any distance can separate. Through God, we are in the same place.

4 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alot of thought and love goes in to my prayers when I'm with the Father. I can appreciate "emotionally drained" a lot more today than ever before. Its great to have you back Steve &I Lisa & James, "There's no place like home."

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Randy - LOL to Madison's comment. It reminded me of our conversation about blogging on "Flying Surfboard Beach." I remember telling you, "I love that "Intentional Walk" guy." Nice to know him as Steve now.

BTW - Are you wearing a Rolex in your blog pic?

Steve - Great thoughts. I can't believe how connected I feel to all of you. Just one thing, if we meet this summer, can we go some place nicer than Sonic Burger? How about Wendy's? :)

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Loved the pictures from the previous post. Looks like you guys had a great time. Glad you got to hook up with Randy. Looking forward to seeing both of you guys this summer.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - Whaddya mean, "Someplace nicer than Sonic"? There's NO PLACE better than Sonic...best onion rings in the world!! And the Cherry Limeade is to DIE for...but in my "era", we called them "Cherry Lime Rickys"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters