Friday, May 05, 2006

Savannah

We spent yesterday at Tybee Island. A huge pavilion was set up with free food and games. We took a side trip to visit an old lighthouse and climbed its 178 steps for a spectacular view of the Atlantic Ocean. We laid on the beach for a while and ate dinner at The Crab Shack. It was a good day and we only got a little sunburned.

Today, Lisa and I took the ferry across the Savannah River to downtown Savannah. There were a lot of shops and restaurants and a long row of vendors' booths selling a variety of arts and crafts. But we were mostly interested in the landmarks. Lisa had her camera at the ready and we embarked down Bay Street.

Savannah was the 13th English colony and a primary seaport. It's amazing to walk past buildings that are older than America. We saw some beautiful architecture and amazing artifacts. I was surprised to learn that the city is the home of American Methodism. John and Charles Wesley were sent here on a missionary assignment from England and there are many churches here today that honor them. The most beautiful is the Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church, and it is very near where we are staying.

The thought of unification, as Cecil was writing about in a recent post called "Tears of Joy" (Click here and scroll down), seems to be on my mind constantly. I so want to worship Jesus and celebrate my relationship with him with Christians from "other tribes." I want to learn from their perspective and enjoy their fellowship. And more and more, I believe that it can't happen too soon. Heaven is too long a wait to be together with all of my brothers and sisters.

Tonight, we are off on a river boat to a nearby fort. We will learn some of the Civil War history of the area and eat more free food. Is it just me, or does it taste better when it's free? Tomorrow we are off to the spa for massages. As Joe Walsh once said, "Life's been good to me so far."

3 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Sounds to me like it’s time for a “Tribal Council.” We have so much we can learn and share with our brothers and sisters in Christ from other fellowships.

Savannah is a great city and I love their version of the “River Walk.” Hope you and Lisa continue to have a good time but go easy on the “spirits” because as Joe Walsh also said, “….it makes it hard to find the door.”

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Never been there, but I love Civil War history, and I love Old Buildings. Glad you're having so much fun.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder how many of you know who Joe Walsh is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters