Monday, May 01, 2006

TGIT

As stated previously, I love the movie "Office Space." One of my favorite lines is "Uh oh. Looks like somebody has a case of the Mondays."

High school students always have a case of the Mondays. Even on Thursdays. Especially in May.


The weather turned nice last Thursday. Last weekend was wintry cold. This past weekend was summertime hot. So Thursday, pretty much, was Spring.

In May, every student at Sunnyside High becomes Ferris Bueller. They all wake up in the morning, look out the window, and say, "How can I possibly be expected to go to school on a day like this?" Most teachers do that too. Especially teachers who like to golf.

So Mondays are tough. Of course, Thursdays are pretty tough too. Arthur Dent (from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," a good movie, a great read, but a tremendous radio show) wakes up one morning to find his house being torn down in order to make room for a new bypass. And he says something with which I could not possibly agree more: "It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

If you're still with me--and I can't really imagine any circumstances under which you might be--I want to assure you that there is a point I'm driving at (or "at which I'm driving," for the grammatically correct amongst you. Somebody once accused Winston Churchill of ending too many sentences with prepositions and in his phoniest huffy-voice he replied, "Well, that is something up with which I will not put!"). What is that point, you may ask? What were we talking about, you may inquire? Is it still Monday, you may query?

My point is this: Today is Thursday. Happy Thursday.

Yeah, I know it's really Monday, but, see, Lisa and I are getting up early Wednesday morning to fly to Savannah, Georgia where we will enjoy an all-expenses paid vacation courtesy of Creative Memories and my hard-workin' wife. There we will stay at the Westin Resort and sleep in a big, cushy, king-size bed. We will receive complimentary food, drinks, and massages. We will participate in a Civil War reenactment-type-thingy (during which I plan to yell inappropriate and anachronistic phrases such as "Remember the Maine!" and "Tippecanoe and Tyler too!"). We will eat crab in our bare feet on the beach. We will, and this is the most vital piece of information, not be here.

Thus I won't be at work. Thus I will only be putting in two days this week. Thus it be Thursday.

Happy Thursday!



5 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I never knew that thursdays could mean so much have fun relax and enjoy your trip together Georgia is such a beautiful state, I sure do miss the south

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Well if you can't be at Pepperdine with us this week it sounds like what you're doing is a more than nice trade off.

BTW -You need to check out "Paula Dean's Resturant. She is a regular on the Food (so my wife tells me / not that I watch her show) Network and seems to have really good recipes.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, We know what ya mean about those Thursdays!! Ron retired 2 years ago, and all we do is go around saying, "Is today Thursday?" We have aLOT of Thursdays, enjoy yours!!! Marsha R.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Really Really Big Man said...

1) I love Office Space!
2) I love Ferris Bueller!
3) I didn't see or read Hitch-hikers Guide ... .
4) Congrats on making it through another school year!
5) Enjoy Savannah! Been there once. Very nice place.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Brady said...

That was a pretty weird post. Especially the part about you having a crab in your bare feet.

But enjoy the time off anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters