Friday, March 25, 2005

Christ Is Risen!

He is risen indeed!

That used to be the greeting at Eastertime. You'd hear it everywhere. We are, of course, far too post-Christian, post-modern, intellectual, and politically correct to do that today. But I find myself missing something I never had. I have some errands to run today and I was just thinking about how cool it would be to go pick up the vacuum cleaner at the repair shop and have it handed over with a "Christ is risen." Imagine the swell of joy you would feel as you answered, "He is risen indeed!"

Yesterday was the first sunny day of vacation. So naturally I shoveled rock and humis all day. 3 yards of humis and a ton (I'm going to type that again now: a TON) of rock. My back hurts. No...it really really hurts. But it was a really good day. We talked to almost every neighbor we are blessed with and James really got into shoveling that dirt. We have an incredible neighborhood. This would have been nice: "Hey, Steve. That's a lot of humis. Christ is risen."
"Yeah, it is. He is risen indeed. Grab a shovel."

Since Emmaus...since ZOE...since spending more time speaking and teaching...it has been much easier to see the spiritual in the everyday. I'm seeing more zoe and less bios. I'm seeing souls more than people. It's not all the time yet, but I'm noticing it more. My eyes and mind are more on ministry--a LOT more on ministry--than ever before. It's nice to imagine a world that recognizes Christ is the risen Lord. And the fact that we're not there yet makes me yearn to do whatever I can to get it there. But we will live in such a world one day. And there, in that place, we will all surround Him and, with tears in our eyes, shout, "CHRIST IS RISEN!"

And I think He will look at all of us, smile almost humorously, raise His eyebrows and hold out His hands when He says, "I AM risen indeed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters