Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Why only 3?

The older I get, the easier it is for me to say, "I don't know." My literal mind used to struggle with the concept of the Trinity. I fully accept the existence of God, Christ, and Spirit. And I suppose I accept the necessity of them all being One. But I have learned to answer the "how" of all that with a great big "I don't know."

Recently, while writing about a completely different topic, the question came to mind of whether God was limited to being 3-in-one. I don't like to put limits of any kind on God so my mind wandered. Why not 4? Why not 100? Just because the Bible talks about only 3 aspects, does that mean there aren't more? Maybe these 3 are the only ones that truly matter to us, the only ones we need to know about. Maybe God is infinite in every way but, even though we can only speculate about a Trinity, our minds would absolutely snap at the concept of a Quadrinity or more. I can imagine 3 dimensions just fine, but the thought of 4 twists me up in knots.

I thought today how perfect an example prayer is of why we need all 3 aspects of God. We pray to God. Why? Because we think of it, or need to, or more likely because the Spirit urges us to. God urging us to talk to God. And how do we say what we need to say? The Spirit speaks for us, hearing our groaning and making it clear. The pathway of prayer? The bridge? The Interceder? Jesus, of course, the reason we so often pray in His Name. God prompts us to talk TO God...THROUGH God. I can just almost understand that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters