Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Silver Lining

James had a horrible stomach ache yesterday. By bedtime he was crying it hurt so bad, at times doubled over on the floor. I had never seen him like this before, never endured the parental role of just holding him, stroking his hair, rubbing his back, trying to comfort him.

In the past when he's had a stomach ache, he's complained for a few hours, then thrown up three times (always three times) and then been fine. But this was different. This was "do we need to go to the emergency room" different. He fell asleep a couple of times but only for 30-45 minutes. And Lisa and I did what little we could for him...gave him some 7-up...held him...and crossed our fingers that he would throw up and have done with it.

But the most important thing is that we prayed. We prayed out loud with him. We prayed silently. We laid hands on him as he slept. And even though it was a long night, he got better this morning. During my shower, he came up and knocked on the shower door. "Daddy, I threw up!" he said, as happy as could be. And then walked back out to the couch.

The silver lining came early this morning. Lisa was sitting with him in the bathroom. I was in the bedroom, eyes closed but listening. And my boy told his mom that he wanted to pray.

He's growing up and he's growing to know God. We don't hear confirmation of that very often so when we do, it's cause for celebration.

3 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Your post took me back to those "little boy" days with my son. You and Lisa keep laying the groundwork with James so he'll stay close to God.

BTW - can "throw-up" be an answer to prayer?

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I went down and saw him today (he was on a cot in the school office while Mom was quickly finishing some work...)
He climbed in my lap and showed me his new snake book. Very cool.
Sweet sweet boy.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Brady said...

We would always give our kids the medication and then pray with them. God would always get the credit.

Glad to hear that things are going well…

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters