Monday, October 30, 2006

Routine

To recap, my friend, John, had brain surgery on Wednesday. On Friday, my cell phone rang, the caller ID showing his number. I knew John's parents had his phone, so when I opened mine up, I expected them to give me an update. Instead, John's voice said, "Hey."

I think my answer was something along the lines of, "WOW! You have got to be kidding me!"

He sounded great. I kept saying stuff like, "Weren't they working on your brain two days ago??" Everything went very well and he is already out of the hospital. If everything went according to plan over the weekend, he should even be back in Fresno by now. I'm amazed by both the marvels of modern medicine and the power of God who I believe DOES love His children and DOES answer prayer. So, thank you for all of yours.

I got to chat with John about all of those things. But also, of course, about baseball. He was happy to have the opportunity to watch the game Friday night with his parents and some friends who had traveled up to see him. And what a game! I would like to remind everyone that I predicted a 5-game series (while hoping you all forget which team I picked to win it). The play was ugly at times...anyone else guessing the Tigers pitching staff might work on fielding balls back to the mound this off season?...but the team that played best together won it. And who am I to argue with the selection of David Eckstein as MVP? We'll take you back anytime, X. Just let us know.

I preached yesterday on "The servant's heart," and I truly can't tell you how it went. God worked, as He always does, but I never felt right. I have a routine I go through on mornings I preach. I've gotten quite used to it and maybe a little too reliant on it. It goes something like this: Arrive early. Go over PowerPoint with Jon/James. Go over sound stuff with Lex/Dee. Check with Sandra on order. Find a quiet room to review the message and pray over it. Pray with Arthur. Pray with Doug. Pray with whoever will stand still long enough. Pray with the group up front. And then just sit and worship with everyone until it's my turn.

Yesterday just didn't work out like that. Doug did find me and round up a group to pray for me (thanks, Lex), but there was no quiet time with God and I. So when it was my turn, I felt like I had just been picked to answer a question in class, and I hadn't done the homework. Like I said, everything went fine because God is in charge. I just never felt right. I am SUCH a creature of habit. I know that's maddening to others, but I'm not sure I can help it.

I'm glad God loves us Type A folks too.

2 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Wow, brain surgery and then 2 days later carrying on a conversation. God is good. I wonder if that kind of surgery works on students and their homework?

When was the last time (if any) that you saw so many fielding errors from pitchers during a World Series. The one "Rodney" (I think that's the name) made late in Game 4 reminded me of how we lost our District Championship Game when Steven was 12.

We had an overpowering team that we felt could make it to Williamsport. Unfortunately our “over-powering pitcher” made and over-powering throwing error on a bunt that went into right field and we ended up losing the game.

I don’t preach on a regular basis but I am a creature of habit and it gives me the “willies” as well when my routine is thrown off.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Brady said...

I heard the sermon was good, and I was all the way over here.

Glad to hear about the good progress for John.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters