Tuesday, May 23, 2006

June 30

Every summer there's one movie I'm dying to see. On rare occasions there have been more than one, but lately there's always a biggie. And, as befits my personality, that one biggie almost always started life as a comic book. This year it's


"Star Wars" was the first huge movie I ever saw but it set off a chain of events that has never stopped. "Close Encounters"..."Raiders"..."ET"...it was just all so good. And just two years after "Star Wars" came out, I saw "Superman" and I really did believe a man could fly. I didn't like any of the sequels, even "Superman II" which so many people love. I knew my Superman, and I knew that he couldn't move things around by waving his hand at them, or make somebody forget something by kissing them. I remember being glad that Superman didn't need to make ME forget anything.

But "Superman"? The original? Great stuff. The music was, of course, perfect. I loved the story. I loved how Christopher Reeve seemed like such a schmo when he played Clark Kent. I loved the humor of it. Gene Hackman was a perfect Lex.

And now there is finally a sequel with promise. The director of "Superman Returns," Bryan Singer, showed that he knows how to handle superheroes with the first two X-Men movies. And he's a fanboy just like me. He has promised that this movie will be faithful to the first two (since he really hated III and IV) and you can tell by watching the trailer.

Humor, pathos, romance, and blue tights. I don't know...what else could you possibly want?? Can't wait.

4 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Yeah - the thing that irritated me about the second one was this: it was clearly explained that if Superman gives up his powers, he can NEVER, EVER, EVER GET THEM BACK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Then, what does he do? With no explanation whatsoever, he GETS THEM BACK. So utterly lame.

The whole turn-back-the-world thing in the first film was also bothersome because I felt like 99% of all other problems Superman experienced in the future could also be easily resolved this way. It created too many problems for future stories. But, for some reason, that one was a little more tolerable.

The first film was definitely the best.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Steve - When you wrote "Humor, pathos, romance, and blue tights" I had a "J.J. / Good Times" flashback. May I add, "Any movie with Humor, pathos, romance, and blue tights is "Dy-no-mite!" Of course, in a manly sort of way.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Brady said...

When I was a kid, Superman convinced me (no lie) that I could eventually THINK MYSELF THROUGH THE WALLS (remember that episode?). I remember vividly standing at the wall and trying it, knowing I would succeed.

It didn't work.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Whoa, I totally remember that episode. I think there was a time that I thought I could do it too. I can't remember if I ever tried.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters