Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I'm Wireless, Baby!

I've achieved the dream. I'm posting this from my couch while watching a baseball game. The Angels already beat the Twins today and the Red Sox are clubbing the Rangers as we speak. That means another game's lead in the standings for my boys as we reach the halfway point of the season. Life is good.

Okay, so "Mere Discipleship" is meaty, but turning out to be required reading so far. I am so impressed with the guts of Lee Camp, the writer. Here's a southern C of C member, a teacher at Lipscomb for crying out loud, who has the guts to question things like: the attitude of Christians toward discipleship, the morality of the Vietnam War, certain quotes and stances of Reagan and the Bushes. The thing is, it's pretty hard to argue against him. Are we really meant to follow the teachings of Jesus only as long as they don't interfere with keeping our place in society? Should an army chaplain fall in line when his Commander-in-Chief says that everyone supports his actions? Is America the "city on the hill" referred to in the Bible and are we justified in seeing ourselves as the shining example while labeling others an "evil empire"? Good, troubling, valid, disturbing questions.

I'm learning about certain ways we perceive the world through eyes stained with traditions and preconceived notions. And I'm sure I'll be working through those lessons here. I look forward to comments and, hey, if nothing else, at least we can escape those horrible pictures for awhile.

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are indeed some meaty issues.

I wrestle with the ideas that somehow we, as a nation, are preferred by God over other nations. Lord of the nations seems to be quite broad. God desires all people to be saved not just those who speak English.

Thanks for challenging us and keeping accountable to us with your reading progress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters