Friday, June 10, 2005

"Mr. Thurman? This is the Fresno PD."

Very few really good conversations take place immediately after hearing those words.

The lady from the police department was very nice and quite understanding as I told her I was pretty sure she was a friend of Lisa's playing a trick on me. It was only when she asked me to check if my car was where I had parked it that I thought perhaps there might be something wrong.

See, she knew it wasn't where I parked it because she was looking right at it when she asked. It wasn't in front of my brother's apartment at all but rather it was straddling the railroad tracks on Chestnut in between Butler and Church. Now, I'm no expert, but that doesn't seem like a really safe place to leave a car.

So, apparently, somebody saw my sweet '93 Saturn, jimmied the lock, stripped the wires, hot-wired it and took it for a ride. I wonder if they enjoyed how much it shakes and shimmies as much as I do. When they got to the tracks, they had had enough, so they ripped out the stereo, took my golf clubs and shoes out of the trunk, grabbed the Trivial Pursuit game off of the passenger seat (!), and split.

Okay, the ignition is jacked up and it was (and will continue to be until it gets fixed) a big hassle...BUT...here are the silver linings:

That stereo hasn't worked in over two years. I can't wait for them to find that out.

When was the last time I drove to Rich's place and didn't leave the iPod in the car? Or, for that matter, my wallet? I'm pretty bad about those things, but not today.

I get new golf clubs!

No windows are broken, nothing's scratched up or dented, and nobody got hurt. Unless that molding along the driver's side door fell off like it sometimes does and whacked the thief. That'd be okay.

All in all, a very pleasurable car-theft experience. And what are the odds that my wonderful mother-in-law would be leaving town on Sunday and won't need her car next week while I get mine taken care of.

Sure, I hope God smites the bad guys. But He was very generous with me!

6 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, I was not involved with the theft of you car.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

You're killin' me, Nhat...just killin' me.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always knew you were a glass-is- half-full kind of person!

You make me want to have my car stolen.

Anybody out there looking to joyride in a '98 Ford Windstar?

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thurman, this is my first visit to your blog. Very interesting I have to say. I know exactly how you feel about the whole car theft thing. My Camry was broken into and long story short my new cd player was stolen. I didn't care about the cd player that much but I was outraged that my "American Idiot" CD was in the cd player. I LOVED that cd.......Green Day Rocks!!! Go Aggies!!!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Someone stole my '66 Mustang from the church parking lot on a Sunday morning. The police found it the following Sunday down at the Baptist parking lot.

Since then, I patrol the parking area during the sermon.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

My favorite part of the one sided conversation...and a point when I think you really knew it wasn't a joke was hearing you respond,

"no, I don't remember having any wires hanging there."

Sorry it happened. Thankful it wasn't happening when I pulled up. I've thought about it and I know I would have tried to stop them. What was I going to do? Hug them to death?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters