Saturday, June 04, 2005

Pop Culture Update

I just finished reading "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." I have to admit, I was drawn to it by the title and, after reading a few great reviews, I was sold. It was a Pulitzer runner-up and unlike any book I've ever read. And, in the end, it was just disturbing. It was very (VERY!) funny at times and incredibly touching. But it seeped anger. Absolutely seeped it. If you don't believe me, pick up a copy and read the last page. Or don't, if the "F" word mustn't enter your brain. The book is more or less a memoir written by a 26-year old (or so). This is a man who is obviously turned off by religion. His mother, who the book is really about, although I don't know if even the author would admit it, was a devout Catholic. But it's obvious that to him Catholicism is religion and nothing more. So it was disturbing on many levels...the anger...the awkward self-references...the baring of his soul...the extreme worldliness. But mostly because it was familiar. His way of looking at things (oh, his name is Dave Eggers, may as well introduce him to you) is such a common way. As many references as there were to church, to religion, to Catholicism, to his father's atheism...there was no reference to Jesus except in a comical way or a curse.

If the church has one task I think it's this: show people who Jesus IS. Not a symbol, not an icon, not a historical figure and NOT a religion. The man. The God. The life saver.

One of my ex-students (sigh...hear that? EX-students) is going to Brown next year and Eggers is going to speak. I'm hoping she'll hear him and tell me what he's like. (Yes, you, Mandeep) Because I truly believe that he is a voice of his generation. And THAT frightens me.

Oh yeah, saw "In Good Company" last night. I liked it. Topher Grace cracks me up. And the message there is far from disturbing: We can always teach, and be taught, how to live our lives. How to be there for others. How to be happy.

Blessings, all. Vacation ROCKS!

2 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was the voice of this generation? I guess I'll pick up a copy of the book anyway.

You are right on: "show people who Jesus is!"

Most of our messages are who Jesus is not, who the church is not, what Christians are not, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Wow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters