Friday, May 13, 2005

Killer Rabbit

Sixteen high school juniors and seniors infiltrated Casa de Thurman last night and I got a glimpse (just a glimpse mind you) of the life of a youth minister. The night was set to start at 5:30 and they started showing up at 5:45. That's really good! Mind you, these are Calculus students we're talking about here, but I was still impressed. They came just at the same time as the pizza guy, imagine that. You know how, at dinner time, there's a always a point early on when the conversation dies to nothing because everyone is eating and somebody always says, "We must be hungry!" Yeah, this was nothing like that. It was loud. No, it was LOUD! Those of you who know teenagers know this: loud = good. It's when they're quiet that you start to worry. By the way, James, who usually hates noise, was having the time of his life. He loved all these kids and he just talked to them all night long.

We had a great time playing games before the movie. Three groups formed. One played Scattergories, one played Pictionary (they made up all their own phrases naturally) and the other played, ahem, Texas Hold 'em...I can't imagine where they found poker chips. The pictionary group let James play with them and he drew a quite nice representation of "James and the Giant Peach." He thought of it himself and the kids got it! They ALL screamed!!

The highlight of the movie, by far, was Pao's reaction to the killer rabbit. Hardly anyone had seen "Holy Grail" before, which was why it was a must-see. As usual, most of the girls didn't like it and most of the guys howled. But when that rabbit (with huge fangs...look at the BONES, man!) leapt from knight to knight doing mortal damage, Pao laughed so hard he fell off the couch. And then, for the rest of the movie, he kept thinking about it and laughing again. As much as I love that flick, he was way more fun to watch.

They left in one big clump, everybody saying thank you on the way out. What an awesome bunch. I think they had a good time. I had a blast!

1 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I am embarrassed to tell you I've never seen that movie. Probably something you would like better than I, but, I still feel left out not knowing the movie. I'll have to break down during my "time off" this summer and watch it with the kids.

I'm proud of you. You're a great teacher!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters