Friday, May 06, 2005

He Has Become My Salvation

One of the greatest songs ever written was by the sister of a prince/shepherd/murderer. She had her flaws too, jealousy high among them, but boy could she write! Miriam, is in fact, one of the many overlooked heroes of the Bible, her fault for having the wrong chromosomes.

After walking across the floor of the Red Sea on dry land (dry, mind you, not soggy, not muddy, but dry!), she wrote a song and taught people to sing it. The best line goes, "The Lord is my strength and my song. He has become my salvation." It was such a good line that David and Isaiah both used it...that's like Lennon and McCartney borrowing a lyric.

I like it because it largely sums up our relationship with God. He is our source of strength, our only good, real, lasting source. He is our source of joy, our only good, real, lasting source. And He is our salvation. Period. Without Him we are weak, we are without joy, we are lost. All too often we allow Him to be one--or maybe two on a good day--of these things, but not all three. But Miriam knew that without God, the Israelites could not have pushed back the walls of the sea. They would not have had the desire to sing and dance and celebrate His Mighty Name. They would still be in captivity in Egypt.

Praise God! My Strength. My Song. My Salvation.

2 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I'm so glad you're back up and running full blog ahead! I noticed Randy Wray already told you what Greg said in the morning devo.

Truthfully, my time at Pepperdine was weird this time. Went down, late dinner with Eric, (that was an adventure we'll tell you about some day), early morning devo at 7:30 am, breakfast, and back on the road home. I didn't see or hug nearly enough people. I've been jealous all week of my husband and son getting to have fun without me.

See you Sunday.

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your "sabbatical" has rejuvenated your blogging. A mighty fine post!

"that's like Lennon and McCartney borrowing a lyric."

Nice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters