Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Good News/Bad News

One of the all-time great punchlines: "The good news is, there IS baseball in Heaven. The bad news is, you're pitching tomorrow."

Sometimes you don't even need the setup.

We're a week into the season and I've already been reminded many times why I love this game so much. And, yes, before you ask, I DO thank God for baseball from time to time. It's one of many things He didn't have to create (Abner WHO? GOD invented baseball!), but He did anyway. A partial list of those things is a blog for another time.

Yesterday, the Angels tied the game against the Rangers with a homer in the top of the 9th and won it with a homer in the top of the 10th. De-mor-a-liz-ing. Heh heh. Here is a list of things I've seen in just the first week of the season:

The come-from-behind victory.
The 3-hit shutout.
The cycle.
The 3-run error (committed by A-Rod...again...heh heh).
The 3-hitter/4-pitch save.
The chip-in on 16 (okay, that was the Masters, but WOW!)
The grand salami.
Striking out the side.
The triple. No explanation, I just LOVE triples. Way better than home runs.
The foul ball caught in the cap.
The screaming liner off the head (I know, I'm sick).

I should probably stop there. But not before I quote Mike Cope who said, "Rooting for the Yankees is not consistent with following Jesus." Man, he knows his stuff.

By the way, I'm not kidding about God creating baseball. He didn't have to make us competitive, to make us enjoy sport. It's what I call a "luxury of creation" and it ranks right up there with music and color. Makes you wonder...if He made this world so enjoyable for us, what will the next one be like???

2 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about this dialogue from Field of Dreams?

Shoeless Joe Jackson: Hey, is this heaven?
Ray Kinsella: No, it's Iowa.

Classic!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Mr. Cope loves Avery,
Avery loves his Mom,
therefore Mike has to love me too...in spite of my Yankee loyalty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters