Monday, April 25, 2005

Post Something New!

Last week was incredibly busy and this week promises to be even moreso as the AP Calculus test sneaks up on us next Tuesday. By the way, God is giving me a little reward for all my hard work. On May 3, the same day the kids take that test and our intense preparation reaches a conclusion, the new Star Wars soundtrack hits the stores. Yes, that's right, my final bit of John Williams "Force" music. I remain convinced that when I roam the streets of heaven for the first time, that's the theme I'll hear.

I struggled last week with a number of things. The message for Sunday wasn't coming easily. Satan was all OVER me and I was giving him some pretty good handholds. Work was frustrating as I had to combine AP prep with state testing. And the 3 visits to the doctor just added to all the fun. Yesterday morning I felt unprepared, tired, and hurt. I knew enough to pray and found Grace Pendleton in my "quiet place." We prayed together and I felt prepared to preach. Then Sandra grabbed me and had Tim McIntosh and Arthur Wint pray over me and I felt the pain and weariness partially disappear. The group prayer before service began got me a little further. I continued in prayer from the pew until it was time to speak and, of course, by then I was whole. He is amazing, He is faithful, He is powerful, and His word will get out in SPITE of us. God is good. God is good. God is good.

Ashley sang a solo during the invitation yesterday and just wiped Lisa and I out. Sandra's original plan was for her to sing that in between the message and the invitation, but I asked her to wait so that I would actually be able to speak during the invitation. It's crazy how proud both Lisa and I are of those kids. Their parents and their God have worked wonders with them. I pray that James can emulate his cousins as he grows up. He went to the rodeo with his Grammie yesterday and came home so incredibly happy. He just ran around the house like a wild child. Lisa has been working like crazy the past few weeks and doing great things with her job. That has left James and I a lot of time together and we've really enjoyed it. The best part has been introducing him to Dr. Seuss. He got a boxful of Seuss books for his birthday and he just loves them. He sits through even the long ones and wants to read them again when we finish. So far "Bartholomew and the Oobleck" is his favorite...mainly, I think, because he enjoys saying "oobleck."

After church yesterday Lisa and I (as we were James-less) had some sushi and went home to rest. We watched the Angels beat the A's 1-0...Lisa watched almost the whole game with me and I love that. It was a good day. This week, we play the hated Yankees. The Angels vs. The Evil Empire. Light side vs. Dark side. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

I knew yesterday you weren't feeling at your best at least physically. As a big sister, I want so badly to fix it for you, but knew all I could do was get people to pray with you, over you, and continue through the service.

God is faithful. He did marvelous things through you in spite of the distractions Satan tried to throw at you all week.

I hope, physically, your body is healed soon and you feel better. Spiritually, I hope for a double portion of health.

Be encouraged. God uses you in a mighty way.

You, Lisa and sweet baby James are so precious to me and my family.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how many of us can "know so much" and not "know enough to pray."

I wished I could have been there to see and hear God perfect his power in your weakness.

We had our second praise evening this past Saturday night with our praise band. Madison sang a solo on one of the songs for us. Funny how you can rehearse over and over and when that moment comes it's hard to keep playing my part while she's singing. So, I know how you feel.

Imagine your delight in a few years and the flood of emotions as the PA announcer says:

"And now the starting pitcher for your Greater-Los-Angeles-Metropolitan-Area-Which -Also-Includes-Anaheim Angels . . . James Thurman!"

What is it with the LAA Angels? LAA? Is there some sort of identity crisis happening over there?

I'm in your corner, though for other reasons. Still, I stand with you to say "down with the pin-stripe empire."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters