Wednesday, May 25, 2005

They That Wait Upon the Lord

We can be tired, weary and emotionally distraught, but after spending time alone with God, we find that He injects into our bodies energy, power and strength. --Charles Stanley

I'm tired.

They say that your hardest year of teaching is your first year. They lie. Your hardest year of teaching is the first year you teach an AP class. I feel like I've been thinking for 9 straight months. The extra time and stress of the year have weakened my body too. I haven't been sick this many days since my first year of teaching, back when I didn't have any immunities to all of the germs the kids carried around in their backpacks. This last bout started last Monday and I don't feel like I've taken a decent breath in over a week. The thing is, that while the workload increases radically from 7:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday, the rest of the world carries on as usual. Things still need to be done. And the result of it all is, well, I'm tired. There's no gas in the tank; I'm running on fumes.

I'm not fooling myself into thinking that summer will be a time of rest. There will be plenty of activity and lots of running around. What it will be, however, is a time to stop thinking for a while. A time to veg out, watch the Angels, play at the water park, go to the zoo, hit golf balls. I may go entire days without having to...and I'm beginning to hate this word...concentrate.

Above all, what I hope for is a time of communion with God. A time to soak up His Word...fellowship with His people...and just be still and know. I hope to hear Him in the gentle wind. I hope to hide in the rock, rest in His arms. And I hope to rise up on eagle's wings.

Because the next school year is right around the corner.

1 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

We've said it before...but it's worth repeating.

Those kids are blessed to have you as their teacher.

I relate with Randy's comment regarding the weariness that comes from the "job" we hold...although his and mine are not exactly the same, they're in the same realm with many of the same things making us weary.

I guess God puts us where He needs us (if we're listening) and then takes us right to the edge, stretches us, uses us...and then uses us some more...then finally we get to rest.

I don't know what it's like to teach AP math or math of any sort, but I do know what it's like to pour...and I mean POUR every ounce you have into the people and work that you have before you.

I will pray for rest for you...not just sleep, but rest.

I love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters