Wednesday, May 18, 2005

A Brief Recap of the Past 28 Years

In 7th grade, I took an elective in Science Fiction Reading. I was into Heinlein at the time and wanted to read more of that stuff. All the buzz that year was about a big movie that was coming out in May called "Star Wars." There was virtually no science fiction in the theaters at the time and hadn't been anything big since "2001" in the 60's when I was too young to go to movies. So I got caught up in the excitement pretty easily. I didn't go opening day, but went shortly thereafter with my friend, Blaine Graybill. I remember not getting everything that was happening but being absolutely transfixed...and going again to catch more...and again...and again. It was years before VCR's made multiple viewings possible at home, so if you wanted to see a movie, you went to the theater. I went over 50 times.

I was in the first group to see "Empire" in 1980...I had to miss school for that. And I got into the theater employee's showing of "Jedi" in '83. After the movie was over at about 2:00 AM, I left the theater and got in one of the lines to see it again with the rest of the fanatics on opening day. I had to miss school AND work for that one. I hated the ewoks but loved the movie.

Then the long wait began. I was in the first groups for all of the special editions in the '90's, missing more work. And then I was at the midnight show for Episode I in '99. Of course, it was disappointing but, hey, it was still Star Wars. By the way, the name "Jar Jar" is not to be spoken aloud in the Thurman house. I was back at midnight in '02 for Episode II and it was better. And now, tonight I'll be there for the end. I expect it to be good, much better than the last two. And I expect to be a little sad when it's over.

There are very few things that connect the 12 year old to the 40 year old, but this is one. I'm glad that James already likes these movies and I look forward to sharing their story of redemption with him when he gets old enough to understand it. I promise to get back to writing about God and baseball and all the other joys of my life soon. But tonight, I'm going to the movies.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

50 times? Over 50 times? How much over 50 times?

I remember going to the theater with my parents, in Central America of all places, to see this new movie "Star Wars."

What I could not figure out is why we would want to go see a bunch of stars fighting each other. Much less why my parents were taking us to see the battle.

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed the film. Jordan got to see it on Wednesday. Yes, it opened a day early here in Switzerland... and we are 9 hours ahead of you California guys. Should have been here.

When I asked Jord if the "one who shall not be named" gets killed, he said no, but at least hesa no have any any dialogue.

Brady

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters