Monday, July 18, 2005

HARRY POTTER IS EVIL!!!

Okay, NO, He's not, but it cracks me up how many people think he is.

I'm well into "Half Blood Prince", the latest book in the Harry Potter series and it is every bit as good as the last five have been. The books are incredibly well-written and real page-turners. We are invested in the characters by now and Rowling keeps us all a little afraid that everyone but Harry may not make it to the end. What gets me though, is how every new release brings with it the same old stories of all the Christians who are pronouncing doom on everybody who reads them. This is, by the way, how we get such a lousy name. We invest our energies decrying Harry Potter for crying out loud! Meanwhile, the poor and the sick and the hungy go on being poor and sick and hungry. Sometimes I think we don't mind too much if a kid dies of starvation as long as he didn't read any Harry Potter before he died.

As always, the charges against the books are that they teach kids to love magic and they "blur the lines between good and evil." As to loving magic, well the truth is that fictional magic is pretty cool. And I don't think that kids are drawing pentagrams on their bedroom floors. I think they simply enjoy getting caught up in the same kind of world that Mallory, Twain, and Lewis have helped create. As to the whole "blurring the line" thing, I'm not sure how the line between good and evil could GET any blurrier. And, having read every word of these books, I'm not sure how they could try to make the line any clearer. Harry's good, Voldemort's evil. I get it. I wonder why others can't? Unless, of course, they've never bothered to read them. Yes, I think that's probably it.

My friend, Chris the Minister made a great comment about these books the other day. He said that he'll have to wait his turn in his family to read the new one, but then the whole family will enjoy discussing it. And then he said that if Christian parents REALLY need a series of books to be up in arms about, they should keep the "Left Behind" series out of their kids hands. Not only is the writing atrocious, but the theology is dangerously ridiculous. I love my friend, Chris the Minister.

3 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Larry said...

Harry Potter is not evil???

Now I find out the truth and have six books to read just to catch up. Why didn't you write this post a year ago? :)

The "left behind" series and hundreds of other so-called Christian books are the ones that scare me. A little magic sprinkled here and there is not likely to warp too many minds.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger JD said...

I don't know who your friend "Chris the minister" is, but I love him too! Great post!

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was just doing some midnight email checking when i came across your blog and this particular entry. i have read the first 5 books and thought it was awesome. my mother on the other hand is one of "those people" that accuse the books of doing damage to children. how sad i am that she feels that way.. my own flesh n blood.. its an outrage.. well sorry im getting carried away here.. its nice be reminded of the great person named Mr. Thurman, named "best teacher ever" by me n the rest of the students he's ever had, the calculus student especially luv u btw :) well good night. hope 2 c u around o and ive totally missed playing magic w/ ya <*-*> .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters